Engine, EGT and CHT Sensor compatibility with SV-EMS-220 variants

cbretana

I have just purchased an new aircraft with a Lycoming O-360-A1A. I want to install a complete Skyview HDX with the EMS-220 Engine Monitoring System, (EMS), but the installation kts and wiring harnesses for this come in different variants depending on engine and type of carburation/fuel injection. The bottom of my engine appears as shown below.
Injector.Right.jpg
Injector.Left.jpg

This unit does not have a data plate, or Manufacturer/model/SN stamp on it but I think it is a Bendix King RSA throttle body Injector. Is that correct? And which EMS Kit should I purchase for this, the one for carbureted engines (103916-000, EMSKIT-L4C), or the one for injected engines, (103916-003, EMSKIT-L4F)?

Next, the engine already has an old EMS, (a VISION MIcroSystems VN 1000), and it has EGT and CHT sensors already installed on the engine, (shown below). Can anyone tell me what thse are, and if they are compatible with the Dynon EMS-220?
EGTSensor.jpg
CHTSensor.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help...

Last edited:

Marc_J._Zeitlin

... but I think it is a Bendix King RSA throttle body Injector. Is that correct?
Looks more like an FM-200 Airflow Performance Fuel Injection Servo. Just removed one from my engine for an SDS EI/EFII system.
And which EMS Kit should I purchase for this, the one for carbureted engines (103916-000, EMSKIT-L4C), or the one for injected engines, (103916-003, EMSKIT-L4F)?
Injected. The only difference is the pressure range of the fuel pressure sender - everything else is identical. The FI systems use a higher pressure than the carbureted systems.
Next, the engine already has an old EMS, (a VISION MIcroSystems VN 1000), and it has EGT and CHT sensors already installed on the engine, (shown below). Can anyone tell me what these are, and if they are compatible with the Dynon EMS-220?
CHT probes are usually Type J thermocouples, and EGT probes are usually Type K thermocouples. It LOOKS like VMI used Type K for both EGT and CHT - hard to tell, but the JPI / Alcor probes that they sell have the red/yellow wires that are indicative of Type K.

You'd have to ask Dynon if their CHTs can be set up to use Type K, but in any case, given the relatively low cost of the 8 new probes you'll need for the system (and that you get with the sensor kit), why not just remove the old probes and use the new Dynon probes?

cbretana

Looks more like an FM-200 Airflow Performance Fuel Injection Servo. Just removed one from my engine for an SDS EI/EFII system.

Injected. The only difference is the pressure range of the fuel pressure sender - everything else is identical. The FI systems use a higher pressure than the carbureted systems.

CHT probes are usually Type J thermocouples, and EGT probes are usually Type K thermocouples. It LOOKS like VMI used Type K for both EGT and CHT - hard to tell, but the JPI / Alcor probes that they sell have the red/yellow wires that are indicative of Type K.

You'd have to ask Dynon if their CHTs can be set up to use Type K, but in any case, given the relatively low cost of the 8 new probes you'll need for the system (and that you get with the sensor kit), why not just remove the old probes and use the new Dynon probes?
Thanks for including (explaining), what the difference is between the two kits. That makes sense.
Am I correct that this FI system injects the fuel into a common intake manifold, and not into each cylinder independently ?
And yes, considering what I'm going to be spending on the complete Skyview HDX suite, the cost of getting all new CHT & EGT Sensors is rather minor.

n144sh

I love flying!
You can setup the EMS for K type thermocouples for CHT. One reason not to change to the Dynon probes is that although they are inexpensive, they are IMHO a lesser quality product than some of the other probes on the market.

cbretana

I had one of the Dynon probes fail in the last plane I had them installed in. It started to read 60-70F high.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Am I correct that this FI system injects the fuel into a common intake manifold, and not into each cylinder independently ?
No, you are not correct.

The Bendix, Airflow Performance, and Precision Airmotive mechanical fuel injection systems all have a distribution block, downstream of the servo (look for where the output hose of the servo goes) with (for an O-360) four stainless steel lines that go to fittings just above the intake valve on each cylinder (didn't you have a Pre-Buy examination of the plane, that looked at all of this)? Each cylinder is fed individually (and can be tuned by changing the orifice size in the injector restrictor) continually by flow through the restrictor.