Engine Monitoring for 9 Cyl Radial

dabear

Will the new system have support for the M14P? Specifically 9 CHT and 9 EGT?

Also, any idea about the limit on inputs (4 fuel tanks, 2 oil tempts, etc.)

DaBear
Flying Yaks since 1996

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't expect to significantly change the number of inputs we have, so we'll still be a 6 EGT, 6 CHT EMS. What we do hope to do long term is support two EMS modules for people that want to monitor a twin or an engine with more than 6 cyls.

We do expect that overall our inputs will be more flexible.

dabear

I can understand the desire not to change the hardware ASICS or logic so that the upgrade is easier. However, here is a chance to capture more of the market that currently isn't covered.

There are 250+ Yaks, 300+ nanchangs in the US today. Add to that the Murphy Moose and other airplanes that are using the M14P or other 9 cyl radials. Not thousands, but a good number of potential customers.

From your answer, it seems possible that you'll support 2 EMS modules for the 9cyl. Please make sure you'll support the layout on the screen for 9 cyl vs. 12 (2-engines) with 3 blank/in error.

From the Yak/nanchang view, we could remove 250lbs of wiring and heavy electronic (1960's technology) gear from airplanes if we can get coverage for those 9 cycl EGT/CHT. By getting the new tech and reducing the weight, it becomes a no-brainer to puchase at least TWO of your screens (front cockpit and back cockpit) for engine
monitoring.

Thanks for listening and thanks for providing great products and fantastic support.

DaBear
Flying Yaks since 1996

PhantomPholly

As far as the "number of inputs" issue goes, why not steal a good idea from one of your "competitors?"

They had the idea to put a sending unit forward of the firewall to aggregate all of those sensor inputs and transmit it via serial to the monitor - sounds a LOT like a job for DSAB!

It would also make cockpit wiring much easier...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We've discussed this before, and here's what I posted in another thread:

The EMS LRU will not be a firewall forward unit. First off, a lot of the stuff like fuel tanks, flaps, trim, etc, still go to this box, and they'd need to go through the firewall.

Second, that's a really difficult environment to live in. Really wet, and really hot. Not the best place to put electronics for good reliability, and suddenly you're spending big $$ on fancy connectors.

keye

Just wanted to add my vote (this is a democracy, right?  ;)) for the support of the 9 cyl M14's. I've got one in my Pitts right now and I'm planning to replace my panels next year; I'd sure like to put Dynon's front and back!

DFlyMKII

I'm Building a Velocity XLRG  and plan on using an LS 376 V8. The 9 cylinder capability would cover V8 builders as well!