erratic oit temp

fuzzflyer

912 in a sting / 20 hours T/T
My oil temp has become erratic in the last four flights. jumps from low green to red and back constantly when flying..would this be a sender problem, what s the best way to check

Roger_Lee

It's usually a loose connection at the sender for this. It is located just above and left of the oil filter. Tighten it if you can. If it is tight you still have a loose connection on that wire. make sure the wire into that or another connector is firm and solid.

fuzzflyer

I'd check for a loose wire. One of my EGT's was sporadic. I reseated all the connectors and it cleared up.
Thanks, it was/is the whole terminal on the end of the sender moves around, is it supposed to

mmarien

Murray M.
I'm not familiar with the Rotax but that sounds like a broken sender. With only 20 hours you should have some sort of warranty that will replace that.

DaveJnr

We have exactly the same issue on our Sting with an erratic oil temp reading.
I think the problem is at the sender end. I gave the connector a good wiggle and re-seated it and the problem went away for a short time but has now returned again.

Dave
G-STNG

fuzzflyer

I think the problem is at the sender end. I gave the connector a good wiggle and re-seated it and the problem went away for a short time but has now returned again.

Dave
G-STNG
hi Dave
I nipped the connector up yesterday then took the motor up to temp and the issue is still there. rotax said there is a spare sensor not being used :
from Rotax"skydrive UK"
Sorry to you are experiencing problems with your engine. We will try to resolve things for you but if your engine was purchased from somewhere other than directly from Skydrive we would ask that you inform your supplier about any problems as they may need to be involved in any remedial/warranty work. To ensure you receive the correct technical advice on your aircraft any assistance including technical assistance should firstly be sought through your supplier. Occasionally alterations are made to engines, items like senders are replaced to work with specific instruments & we may not be aware of the alterations made.

The standard Rotax connection to the oil temperature sender is via a spade receptacle which fits across a post on the sender. The spade connector will easily rotate on the terminal. The sender is constructed with an internal spring so it is possible the center of the sender may turn however they are normally tight.

The Oil & CHT senders supplied with the engine are the same. There are two CHT senders & generally only one is used. You could ask your Rotax engineer to replace the suspect oil temp sender with the spare one from the cylinder head.

Quickly varying indications are most likely to be an indication error which could be as a result of a poor connection. The problem you are experiencing could be a fault with the instrument, aircraft wiring or the sender. We have never seen a problem with the temp senders unless an engine has been severely overheated. The sender could have been damaged by abnormal vibration. Vibration can be as a result of several factors such as prop balance, carb balance which are not the fault of the engine.

We will endeavor to assist in any claim on a Rotax engine but please understand if Skydrive were not the suppliers of the engine all we can offer is what is offered by Rotax, & there will be an admin charge to cover our time for processing any claim. Rotax will only cover back to base warranty so any traveling or transport costs will be your responsibility.

NOTE: rotax does not seem to accept the sensor could actually be faulty!! :-/

DaveJnr

Having looked at the threads on this forum about erratic oil temperatures on Rotax engines, it feels like the problem is often not easily solved.

I am sure that Dynon are correct in their assumption that somewhere along the line there is a problem with grounding issues.
Having searched to no avail for a grounding problem on my aircraft  I wondered if I could solve the problem with a sender that is fitted with two wires, one being a ground. I have found two such senders (probably loads more out there) which took my interest. I would be grateful for other peoples views.

http://www.lightflying.com.au/Stratomaster%20Pages/StratoProbes.htm

about half way down the page and then this one

http://rspec.co.uk/gauge-sensors-senders/r-spec-oil-water-temperature-sensor

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Unfortunately, without characterizing those sensors, they won't be usable. We have a guide for doing this on our wiki, but it's quite technical. However, SkyView does support the GRT FT-LC-01, though that's sized for Lycoming/Continental engines.

DaveJnr

When you talk about a sensor definition, I am guessing you are talking about your new SkyView system. Sadly, not all of us can afford to upgrade to your new system and many of us will be using your legacy system for many years to come.

gteldp71i0

Had the same problem on my rotax 30hrs and replaced the oil sender without solving the problem. On closer inspection i followed the wires in the harness and came accross a solder joint in the cable which upon picked out fell apart, resoldered and problem solved, not an easy one to find wish you luck.
William

fuzzflyer

Dave
G-STNG
hi Dave
I nipped the connector up yesterday  then took the motor up to temp and the issue is still there.  rotax  said there is a spare sensor not being used :
from Rotax"skydrive UK"
Sorry to you are experiencing problems with your engine. We will try to resolve things for you but if your engine was purchased from somewhere other than directly from Skydrive we would ask that you inform your supplier about any problems as they may need to be involved in any remedial/warranty work. To ensure you receive the correct technical advice on your aircraft any assistance including technical assistance should firstly be sought through your supplier. Occasionally alterations are made to engines, items like senders are replaced to work with specific instruments & we may not be aware of the alterations made.

The standard Rotax connection to the oil temperature sender is via a spade receptacle which fits across a post on the sender. The spade connector will easily rotate on the terminal. The sender is constructed with an internal spring so it is possible the center of the sender may turn however they are normally tight.

The Oil & CHT senders supplied with the engine are the same. There are two CHT senders & generally only one is used. You could ask your Rotax engineer to replace the suspect oil temp sender with the spare one from the cylinder head.

Quickly varying indications are most likely to be an indication error which could be as a result of a poor connection. The problem you are experiencing could be a fault with the instrument, a...

fuzzflyer

Well the problem goes on, I renewed the sender and all was fine for around three hours of flying now the issue has returned.
I have spoken with three engineers who work on Rotax and they say the senders have been an ongoing issue! rotax uk deny that! so unsure where to go. :-[ one flying school say they often have change rotax senders. one unit cost 25£ and the other over 100£ but I'm told both are suspect!

fuzzflyer

Dave
G-STNG

Dave
G-STNG

Dave
G-STNG

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I have spoken with three engineers who work on Rotax  and they say the senders have been an ongoing issue!  rotax uk  deny that!  so unsure where to go. :-[  one flying school say they often have change rotax senders. one unit cost 25£ and the other over 100£  but I'm told both are suspect!

The "known" issue with Rotax senders tends to be the oil PRESSURE senders which are mounted to the engine and are under a lot of vibration. They sell a VDO sender ($30) and a Honeywell sender ($150).

You seem to be having issues with oil TEMPERATURE. This is almost always a ground issue and not a sensor issue. The sensors are very basic devices that hardly ever go bad.

Please verify which sender you're having an issue with so we can help you out.

fuzzflyer

Dave
G-STNG

Dave
G-STNG
Hi Dave

have you resolved your oil temp sender issue?

fuzzflyer

Re: erratic oil temp

I have spoken with three engineers who work on Rotax  and they say the senders have been an ongoing issue!  rotax uk  deny that!  so unsure where to go. :-[  one flying school say they often have change rotax senders. one unit cost 25£ and the other over 100£  but I'm told both are suspect![/quote]

The "known" issue with Rotax senders tends to be the oil PRESSURE senders which are mounted to the engine and are under a lot of vibration. They sell a VDO sender ($30) and a Honeywell sender ($150).

You seem to be having issues with oil TEMPERATURE. This is almost always a ground issue and not a sensor issue. The sensors are very basic devices that hardly ever go bad.

Please verify which sender you're having an issue with so we can help you out.[/quote]

Please verify which sender you're having an issue with so we can help you out.[/quote]
It is the oil temp sender I have an issue with as does at least one other owner on here. I flew a few days ago and all was fine, then I flew yesterday (60F degrees) and the temp was jumping from 106 to 135 in seconds, its my second VDO sender in two months

fuzzflyer

Has anyone found any more info on these two available sensors?
from another pilot: FYI - I had two GRT sensors go bad on me. They started off working great, then each one failed when they hit around 205F.

I have called them, talked to the boss in person, and e-mailed, with no response from them, other than to offer to replace the sensor.

See my related post on the subject.

Sam

fuzzflyer

from another pilot:   My saga of oil temp issues in my all composite Quickie Q-200  is still unresolved. So far I have:
Chased bad grounds, run fat ground wires, etc.
Installed two (2) GRT sensors. They both worked great for about an hour, then each one failed with a dead open.  I delivered one of the bad ones directly to Greg,  the boss of GRT, at Oshkosh, and so far no response from them despite phone calls and e-mails.  On the Canard Aviators news-list there have been multiple reports of the same GRT failure, as well as jittery response from the Dynon sender.