Flight Deck 180 Serial connection

ge

PC has stopped communicating with Flightdeck D180. I am using a Serial to USB converter cable. It previously worked fine.
The yellow screen appears but data is not downloaded. The error message is "Com port error 820" or similar.
I have tested the Com port on the computer using the loop back method. The port is able to transmit and receive data. Soo... the problem seems to be with the D180. I have the latest firmware and am using the Dynon Serial to USB converter software. Any ideas, am I missing something in Setup?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There isn't any setup to do, but that message would make me suspect the comm port. Given that you've checked that, though, I'm a little stumped. Do you get any success when you use the detect firmware version option in the support program?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Probably best to contact our support team from here. Contact info in the signature below....

ge

Still having problems downloading flight data from my D180 (see above)
I have now tried it on a friends D100 and get exactly the same result (the screen turns yellow but data not downloaded)
This suggests to me that the Dynon instruments themselves are NOT the problem as both behave in the same manner.
Could it be that a recent Windows 10 update has caused the problem? Has anyone else had this issue?
It previosly worked well with Windows 10.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Could be that, or the cable you're using to connect. If the PC transmit to EFIS receive wire was ok on the serial cable, but the PC Receive to EFIX transmit wire, you'd see this behavior. It could be the driver for your USB-serial converter too, you might try updating that or alternatively uninstalling the driver entirely and letting windows see it again "fresh".

ge

Thanks for reply,
Have tried a different cable, same result.
Have re installed the USB-Serial driver (and the Support Program) several times, same result.
At the moment I am looking for an old computer with Windows 7 to see if that works. Will post the results here

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
And by cable, I mean the EFIS D25 to D9 Serial cable, not necessarily just a different USB-Serial cable.

ge

OK, it seems to be sorted. I borrowed a friends Windows 7 computer, downloaded the Support Program and Serial to USB driver. Connected everything up and the data files downloaded without a problem!!! My friend mentioned above used Windows Vista with his D10 and again the data files downloaded without a problem. This surely means that there is a problem with Windows 10 or the Serial to USB driver. Any comments welcome. Dynon, could you please look at this a little further, it would be nice to have it all work with Windows 10.

DBRV10

I have thoughts.........avoid W10 for anything that is serial related. Maybe I am an old cranky industrial automation guy. But I run W7 on a VM on my MAC.

Same W7 installation from back in 2012/13...... It just works.

ge

Thanks for commenting. It sure seems like Windows 10 is the problem (or at least a recent update of Windows 10).
At the moment I am trying to install windows 7 on a laptop running Windows 10. Now that's easier said than done.
If ever I succeed I will let the forum now the result

DBRV10

Thanks for commenting. It sure seems like Windows 10 is the problem (or at least a recent update of Windows 10).
At the moment I am trying to install windows 7 on a laptop running Windows 10. Now that's easier said than done.
If ever I succeed I will let the forum now the result

I have no clue on Windoze 10, but surely you can have a VM?

But this will grow you grey hair....or remove what you have :)

ge

I think that is what I am trying to do (Install Windows 7 in a partition on the Windows 10 machine). The problem is getting a version of Windows 7 that actually works. I have bought a copy online as an ISO file but that needs to be converted to a bootable version. There are several ways (apparently) of doing this but I've tried two and they both stall at 99% and give an error code (after 15 minutes just to add to the frustration). The mob that I bought from say they will remotely produce a bootable disc by using Team Viewer on my computer tonight. I won't hold my breath but will persist and again report back the forum!!

Last edited:

SEQFTA

I love flying!
PC has stopped communicating with Flightdeck D180. I am using a Serial to USB converter cable. It previously worked fine.
The yellow screen appears but data is not downloaded. The error message is "Com port error 820" or similar.
I have tested the Com port on the computer using the loop back method. The port is able to transmit and receive data. Soo... the problem seems to be with the D180. I have the latest firmware and am using the Dynon Serial to USB converter software. Any ideas, am I missing something in Setup?
Hi All

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Dynon EFIS D10 has developed a malfunction .
The Attitude and bank indicator has stopped working and the compass has a "lag" on heading
The VSI and ASI seem to be fine
Ironically another gauge I have installed the "turn Coordinator" has also ceased working .
Anyone have any idea's on a remedy at all ?

ge

Update. After a marathon effort I have managed to delete Win 10 and Install Win 7 on my laptop. Despite many attempts I was unable to install Win 7 on a partition in the Win 10 machine so finished up deleting Win 10 completely. Downloaded the Dynon Support Program and the Serial to USB driver in Win 7 and everything works perfectly. Was easily able to download all my Dynon data from the D180 and upload to Savyyanalysis. My interpretation of all of this is that the problem is with Win 10 or a recent update of Win 10.