Flight Dek 180 Harness Wiring NOT RIGHT

GigG

I purchased all my wiring harnesses from Dynon. I seem to have found some points where the wires aren't in the right spot. Well, at least with the installation manual I have which is Revsion D dated Oct 1, 2007.

Here's is what I;ve found so far. All the problems seem to be on the D-25 connector.

17 is connected to the yellow w/green wire. The manual says 17 shouldn't even have a wire.

21 is connected to the Green that should be at 18.

18 is connected to the White that should be at 21.

Ideas? Have you changed the pinouts on the 180?

PhantomPholly

Stein makes all their wiring harnesses. At a guess, I would surmise somehow your harness was dropped in the wrong bin, and someone just grabbed one from the bin.

Contact Stein directly, or go through Dynon. Both are very customer friendly and I'm sure they'll get you straightened out.

GigG

My Bad

Just for the record it seems I was looking at the connector backwards. The illustrations in the manual are all from the back side of the connector.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We were just talking here about how to make this clearer in the manuals. Any suggestions? Does "Rear view of connector" work better than "Pin insertion view"? Regardless of which side you look at, the pin numbers match the numbers molded into the plastic on the connector; however, we do understand that they can be small and hard to see.

GigG

Over 40 eyes can't read those numbers.

I went back and looked at the manual after being advised that the words "Pin Insertion View" were there because I really had not seen it. I don't know what percentage of users are buying their harnesses premade but from the stand point of one who did, we don''t think of the connector from the insertion side just the front side.

One thing you could do and it would call attention to the issue is to stick a drawing of the other side with the numbers on it. That would get the installer thinking about the issue.

PhantomPholly

lol - you are not alone!

If you're speaking of the HS34, LOTS of people have gotten those backwards (including yours truly).

Dynon, my recommendation on wording PARTICULARLY for the HS34 (which has both male and female connectors with the same number of pins) would be to say,

"...the connector which has male pins on the HS34 and female sockets on the harness connector..."

- or vice-versa for the other connector. This is more words, but you could easily use global search-and-replace in your documentation.

As usual, my 2 cents worth.