FlightdEk D180 + EMS D10

Normaned

We are building a tandem seat single engine prototype here in our school and decided to install FlightdEk D180 on the Pilot side and EMS D10 on the co-pilot side. Is this possible and compatible with Rotax 912 ULS as the engine. Since it is tandem config , does installing DSAB will inable EMS D10 on the CP side to display what is in the pilots D180? especiallty the efis parameters? :)

Attachments

• Aircraft3.jpg
    Aircraft3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 126

Thomas_Schaad

I do have it hooked up to an 912ULS and it works great. As far as I understand, you can only have one engine monitor per DSAB, which will be in your case the D180. So you should go for a combination of one D180 and one D10A or one D100 and one EMS10. The possibilities of what you can display where will remain exactly the same. So your decision will be made up in regard to redundancy, of what you would like to have displayed where in case of any instrument failure.

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

PhantomPholly

You may want to consider future upgrades, too. I don't know if the EMS D-10 is pinout compatible with the D-180 EMS bundle, but they HAVE said that the D-180 EMS pinout IS compatible with their new EFIS. Given that information, if you use the D-180 pinout you can be assured of future upgrade compatibility.

Having said that, I'm still puzzled that they have not committed to supporting backwards DSAB compatibility. It doesn't seem like it would be particularly hard to dedicate a couple of pins and modify the old DSAB subsystem to "read" the new system variables.

Dynon, if you're reading this I will hearby offer to take a look at your old DSAB code and your new DSAB API - and if it isn't horrific I'll write the interface for free...

:)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The EMS-D10, D120, and D180 all use exactly the same wiring for the engine sensors, and those harnesses will be compatible with the next generation system.

As Thomas mentioned, you can't have two EMS units in an airplane, and the D180 counts as an EMS. If you are just looking for two screens, the cheapest option is a D100 and a EMS-D10. This will give you whatever you want on either screen, since they will share all data over DSAB. If you're worried about redundancy, than a D180 and an EFIS-D10A makes the most sense.