G5 compatibility

Gordona23

I love flying!
Searching this forum, there does not seem to be a way to use a Garmin 175 to feed a Skyview and a G5, due to differences in Arinc speed requirements. However, one user says that he has them working by ignoring the Skyview "preferred" speed and accommodating the G5 requirements. See https://clapit.icu/avionics/.

Since we're talking about IFR support, anything I do must be rock solid. So please. can DYNON give us a definitive answer on this important question ?
Can a Skyview device reliably be connected, via Arinc429, at either low or high speed ? Thx.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Searching this forum, there does not seem to be a way to use a Garmin 175 to feed a Skyview and a G5, due to differences in Arinc speed requirements....
I have dual HDX screens with a G5 as the third EFIS backup, and I have a Garmin 175 as the navigator. The Skyview is fed through the ARINC 429 adapter, but the G5 is fed from a serial line out of the 175 to a serial line into the G5, per the G5 installation manual.

I don't have a GAD29. The G5 will display HSI info from the 175, and it tracks with what the HDX displays.

Gordona23

I love flying!
Interesting. Garmin seems to say that i need the Gad 29 if I want to display vertical guidance such as on an LPV approach.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

Well, maybe I'm full of crap. After I get my engine installed and do a few approaches for practice, I'll know whether I'm blowing smoke or not. I THOUGHT that it worked with just the serial connection...

birddog486

I love flying!
I'm using an Avidyne and HDX system with a G5 as backup. With the G5 tied to the Rs-232 from the system it only receives limited lateral guidance information. You need the GAD29 to get the correct scaling for lateral and vertical guidance. Without it its fairly worthless for navigation

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I'm using an Avidyne and HDX system with a G5 as backup. With the G5 tied to the Rs-232 from the system it only receives limited lateral guidance information. You need the GAD29 to get the correct scaling for lateral and vertical guidance. Without it its fairly worthless for navigation
Well, there you go. I'm full of crap, apparently. I'll have to look into getting a GAD29, I guess...

CanardMulti

I have near zero expertise with ARINC data communications, but did manage to learn that while a given channel will support bidirectional communication between one pair of devices - in our case between the Avidyne and the SV-ARINC-429 - several other devices can also listen to the output data. I really tried to find a way to let my G5 'listen' to the ARINC output of my Avidyne IFD540 that's fed to Skyview and realized it would take adding a GAD29 to translate ARINC data into the Garmin canbus data. The devil, as they say, is in the details. The SV-ARINC-429 needs the high speed ARINC data format. Last time I checked the GAD29 only accepts ARINC data in the low speed format. If there's a way around that, I'd sure love to learn about it and would willingly pony up for a GAD29. That would allow me to dedicate my G5's RS232 input for VHF NAV display, and its canbus input for GPS inputs, including approaches.

Ken

CanardMulti

Yes, Skyview can reliable operate with ARINC on either HI or LOW speed. While HI speed is preferred, there are no operational issues using LOW speed. I discussed this issue with Dynon support prior to setting the speed to LOW. Everything works as intended: Skyview, Garmin GPS175, and Garmin G5.

See post below.
https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/garmin-gps-175-installation.13697/post-82341
As I noted, my ARINC expertise is near absolute zero. I'd appreciate being educated about what, given the stated 'preferred' hi speed data specified by Dynon, is gained by using hi speed data vs. low speed that would be operationally perceptible by the pilot. Stated another way, if low speed data can be made to work between the Avidyne and Dynon, what if anything is lost by not using hi speed? I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous and nowhere near enough to be useful.