GNS 430 wiring

wilkersk

I love flying!
Anyone care to share their wiring diagrams or pinouts for GNS 430 to Skyview? I think I have it figured out. But, I'd love to see how someone else did it.

I have 2 SV-700 classic displays, the SV-ARINC429, SV-XPNDR-261 (mode S) and a PSE PMA-6000B Audio Panel. I also have the SV-GPS-2020 that I plan to use as a position source for moving map and ADS-B out.

CanardMulti

As they say, RTFM. Chapter 12, current iteration of the installation manual. SV~ARINC~429 to Garmin 430 pinouts.jpg
SV~ARINC~429 to Garmin 430 pinouts.jpg

wilkersk

I love flying!
I was hoping someone would actually share how they wired their GNS 430 into a Skyview equipped aircraft similar to what I listed in the original post. Guess snarky comments is the best I can expect. Thanks anyway.

CanardMulti

Not meant to be snarky at all and apologies if it came across that way. Not referring to your situation, but it is unfortunate that more than a few folks seem to believe that watching a You Tube video and perhaps asking a question in a forum are an acceptable substitute for reading installation manuals and then making the additional mental effort to actually understand what the manual is telling you to do. I'm not talking becoming an electronics expert; I barely understand Ohm's Law. What IS necessary is to be sure you are following the correct schematic and carefully matching the correct pins, box to box. To make things "interesting", different manufacturers occasionally use different names for the same thing. Example: one might label a pin "mic key" and another calls it "XMIT".

The diagram very specifically answered the question you asked. It IS the Dynon provided guidance re how to wire a Garmin 430 into your Skyview system. Since you have an SV-ARINC-429 one has to assume you know that the other side of that box is a simple connection into the Dynon network. The -430 speaks ARINC and RS232 via the depicted pins. Skyview speaks Dynon network. The -429 box speaks all 3 and acts as a translator. Build harnesses that connect the specified pins between the -429 and the -430 then do the device configurations precisely as spelled out in Chapter 12 and you'll be good to go for both VHF Nav and GPS navigation via your Skyview screens.

Your -430 harnesses will have additional pins (a lot). Example: for audio out (both Nav and Com) and Com audio in, as well as mic key, which go to your audio panel. There most likely will be more connections to additional airplane systems (not having to do with Skyview) as well. For those you'll need to scare up a Garmin installation manual and the PS Engineering installation manual, and grind your way thru them, too. For what it's worth, my audio panel installation was way more work than my IFR navigator. The SV-ARINC-429 box made the navigator installation very straightforward.

Good luck.

wilkersk

I love flying!
Here's what I came up with. If anyone has any constructive criticism, fire away.

52300857192_3d786ea9c4_c.jpg

Regards,

Ken Wilkerson
Chief Avionics Technician, USN(Ret)

CanardMulti

Here are some additions to your wiring harnesses for items that you are not using now, but will make system expansion / upgrade easier should you someday choose. You might find a few of them useful to you. Just clearly label them and tuck them out of the way. A lot easier to add them now rather than breaking into an already built harness at a later date.

Not sure if the 430 uses all of these, but these have potential to be very useful if you upgrade to a simple slide in replacement Avidyne 440 someday:

On P4001

- pins 15 + 72 can be wired to be a second power input from a second power bus, and unit will seek power from whichever bus is alive.

- Pin pairs 56 & 57, 58 & 59, 41 & 42, and 54 & 55. These are RS 232 lines 1 thru 4. I'm using RS232 1 to drive the steering on my standby attitude indicator, a Garmin G5. If all Dynon screens go dark, I can still follow my IFR GPS nav course on my SAI.

- pins 52 & 53 are the Hi/LO for audio alerts generated by the navigator for altitude, terrain, obstacles, etc. These are distinct warnings from whatever Skyview may or may not generate. I use the 500 ft AGL call to trigger one more additional last chance check of gear, flaps, and brakes.

- pins 39 & 40 are Hi/LO for additional lighting options

- pin 79 is another additional lighting option

On P4002

- pin 15. Remote COM frequency transfer / flip flop

On P4006

- pin pair 7 & 34 are Hi/LO to let you listen to audio of whatever frequency is tuned in your COM standby window

Enjoy the build.

wilkersk

I love flying!
I completely missed the audio alerts from GNS to the unswitched audio input for the audio panel. Great catch!

Rhino

The panic button connects to pin 9 on the D25. Very important.

Rhino

Well, I guess you could use pin 4 so it shows up next to the mach meter........ Pilot's discretion.