GPS400

petehowell

Hello,

I was able to pick up a GPS400 today for a great price - I plan to use this as primary nav to shoot Waas approaches someday - I assume it hooks up the same as a 430 via arinc and the HS34, but wanted to be sure.  

Thanks

agrantz

Hello,

I was able to pick up a GPS400 today for a great price - I plan to use this as primary nav to shoot Waas approaches someday - I assume it hooks up the same as a 430 via arinc and the HS34, but wanted to be sure.  

Thanks
Pete,
I installed a GNS430W in my RV8 about a year ago, and that's what led me to Dynon. I had to find a space in my panel for a CDI for the 430. The D10A in HSI mode works perfectly. I simply replaced an old vacuum driven heading indicator with the D10A. It boots up to the HSI page. I installed the HS34 per Dynon instructions, and the 430/D10A/HS34 works perfectly. The WAAS approaches are neat. I subsequently have added the Dynon AP, and highly recommend it. Because panel space was limited, I designed a simple bracket to hang the HS34 and AP74 beneath the panel (see attachments). The front of the unit is supported by the bracket shown, while the rear is supported by attaching the mounting screw to either an added bracket or a nutplate in the existing structure (I used both techniques). One of the attached files is a power point. Let me know if you can't open it.

I use the HS34 extensively, including all bug settings for the AP. Dynon will be adding AP trim indications to the HSI display in the next firmware release, so you won't have to toggle back and forth to the main EFIS page. Enjoy.

-Alan

Attachments

• RV8PANEL.ZIP
    1.1 MB · Views: 154

petehowell

Great stuff, Alan.  HS34 is on order!   I am looking for a cheap nav/GS option to add - looking at older king stuff (KNS-80 and 81) although I know they might not work - I plan to use Waas once I get my rating.

Pete

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The 400 is basically the 430 without the NAV radio, so it should work just fine for ARINC-429 based GPS information.