HDX and Touch compatibility

Denok

Hello,
Will the HDX and Skyview Touch be compatible so one of each can be installed on the same aircraft network without serious issues.
Thanks

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
They are. The HDX can replace the SkyView Touch; it's almost a drop-in replacement except the panel cut-out is slightly different, but that's it.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hello,
Will the HDX and Skyview Touch be compatible so one of each can be installed on the same aircraft network without serious issues.

They are. The HDX can replace the SkyView Touch; it's almost a drop-in replacement except the panel cut-out is slightly different, but that's it.

We'd hoped for that to be the case, but unfortunately some of the architectural differences between the HDX and non-HDX displays mean that they won't be cross compatible.

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
Oh? But don't they all use the same components? I mean, there isn't an HDX-specific ADAHRS for example, right? Which components of the system are HDX-specific?

Raymo

I love aviation!
I think they mean that the internal architecture of the EFIS is different enough that the software will have to be written specifically for each screen.

I've cancelled my HDX order, sadly.

vlittle

Hello,

We'd hoped for that to be the case, but unfortunately some of the architectural differences between the HDX and non-HDX displays mean that they won't be cross compatible.

Oh well, but i can see why it's hard to move forward if you are always looking backwards. We'll get over it, but a dual-screen trade-up program would be nice.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Oh? But don't they all use the same components? I mean, there isn't an HDX-specific ADAHRS for example, right? Which components of the system are HDX-specific?

All the components are the same across all SkyView models. It's just the screens that need to be the same series in an aircraft.

Savannah_flyer

I love flying!
So, if I have three screens in my installation, I have to change them all, not just the pilot's... Not good news.

preid

Unless there is a trade up program, only new orders will benefit from any real firmware upgrades. I gather the efforts will be placed on improving the HDX functionality and less on the original Skyviews.
I guess thats how it goes with technology!! But I am quite happy with my displays so I'll manage!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
v15 adds a bunch of awesome features to all SkyView displays. Highway in the Sky, runway centerlines on the map, navigation to runways, aircraft maintenance tracking, and more. Non-HDX SkyView has not been discontinued, and as you can see we've continued to add features.

kellym

I love flying!
[/quote]
Apparently that word didn't get down to show staff. I was told last weekend at CopperState that there would be one software for all 3 screen versions. Too bad that didn't work out. Was considering upgrading one of my screens, but the cost of of replacing both is too great to do that. :'(

kellym

I love flying!
[/quote]
Apparently that word didn't get down to show staff. I was told last weekend at CopperState that there would be one software for all 3 screen versions. Too bad that didn't work out. Was considering upgrading one of my screens, but the cost of of replacing both is too great to do that. :'(

Langdon

I love flying!

I have been posting on another topic which is focused entirely on making the HSI round again and turning off new features, hopefully this topics users are more progressive. Having said that, I do like a round HSI in a perfect world but if that world allows you a better screen layout, as in the case of the HDX then an oval HSI is a small price to pay.

I really wonder about the Dynon support statement above claiming that Classis and touch screens are not compatible with the HDX and do not run the same software. Like others I have recently downloaded V15.0.2.4178 and obviously this software works on both the Classic and the Touch even though they are arguably different and that the touch features and controls only show up on the touch and not the Classis. I believe that the HDX essentially used the same software even though we are being told that it is different and that the two are incompatible.

My reason for believing this is mainly because I have discovered a way to see the HDX layout on Touch and anyone running the same software version can do the same, but only on the Touch. Try it if you like. Select Map PG > Map > Map Menu then scroll down to Edit User Waypoints once there select the return Icon and this will bring up the HDX Icon controls. If you have a play with these you'll notice that they all work perfectly, and do so alongside of your classic or other touch screen.
This begs the question, why did our HSI suddenly turn oval? My answer is that it is required to suit the lower EMS band in HDX, if the software was different this change would not have occurred, but the smoking gun is the glitch that allows you to view the screen layout and Icon controls within the Classic software. The only thing that doesn't work is the lower EMS band which remains blank, the screen knows it's for the EMS though because if you touch that area it brings up tabs across the lower border relating to the engine page.

I suggest if anyone is interested in this they come onboard in a push to have this wonderful screen layout to replace the Classic layout. This would be a great help to situational awareness if you're like me. Imagine just after take-off you are wanting to reduce manifold pressure and RPM whilst climbing out, you also want to establish yourself on track and watch for traffic, all these things can be achieved more easily I believe with the HDX layout.

I believe this layout is being kept (in fact Dynon have confirmed this) for their new flagship product. Given it works on Classic Touch I can only imagine that it is being kept to upsell the new product which is a great improvement by the look of things but maybe not so great that it doesn't require an extra advantage.

Attachments

• screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140835-709-en_US_001.png
    screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140835-709-en_US_001.png
    255.9 KB · Views: 115
  • screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140906-965-en_US_001.png
    screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140906-965-en_US_001.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 132
  • screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140920-710-en_US_001.png
    screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140920-710-en_US_001.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 112
  • screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140936-215-en_US_001.png
    screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-140936-215-en_US_001.png
    254.1 KB · Views: 134
  • screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-141024-340-en_US_001.png
    screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-141024-340-en_US_001.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 108
  • screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-141219-796-en_US_001.png
    screenshot-YNF-SN22581-15_0_2_4178-20161110-141219-796-en_US_001.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 126

Savannah_flyer

I love flying!
Langdon, are you sure it's fully functional, in "HDX" mode? It's a great layout and I think that it would be a nice upgrade for the Touch, but maybe there are some differences in the core software that we cannot see through the GUI. If they are cross compatible, then it is just a marketing issue, which I also respect.

Langdon

I love flying!
It is wrong to say that it's fully functional as there is a very limited access but given there's not supposed to be any it's still impressive. The EMS band is nonexistent but displaying that can't be a problem, already we can move widgets wherever we want in the vertical alignment and I guess it's already in there but not accessible. All the Icons work perfectly, you can try yourself but for instance you can type in a frequency, swap it with a standby and of course it sends it to my second screen which is the small classic. The autopilot controls work, all Icons work. As you can see in the photos above all the screen items work and it's wonderful to think you can unclutter the map display and have information like ETA, ETE etc on the side band. Dynon have excelled with this layout, let's hope they extend it to us, even if we have to pay a license I would do so rather than becoming a "Classic" user. By supporting Dynon, we have contributed to the development, let's hope we can reap the benefit as we know it works.

preid

Unless there is a trade up program, only new orders will benefit from any real firmware upgrades. I gather the efforts will be placed on improving the HDX functionality and less on the original Skyviews.
I guess thats how it goes with technology!! But I am quite happy with my displays so I'll manage!

Dynon has clearly stated they offer free upgrades so I dont think they would ever ask for a "license" to use HDX features on a Classic. As Langdon has demonstrated it is not a limitation, as far as my basic viewing images goes anyway, with making the EMS be below and allow for 50/50 or 60/40. I really like the "declutter" of moving the data to the side versus over the MAP, these are all features that could be implemented in the classic, but Im fine with Dynon and their marketing to offer these privileged features to HDX users. Its a shame but I understand that if there is a difference in firmware that time is money and the time needs to go into future development.
In short- Dynon provided us with 14 versions (they skipped one) to improve the Classic, if they chose to add the features from HDX to the classic panel they could, certainly no hardware limitations nor space constraints. Yes, I like the features and I would like to see them on my panel, but there needs to be a perk to purchase the HDX over the classic moving forward and, I may be wrong, but this is how Dynon did it. Sure us classic owners suffer for it but its no different that my car having a new feature added in the (newer) model that I wish I could get but my GPS license doesnt allow.
Dynon has this right and hope in the future they will allow some of the HDX features to come to the classics.. really wish they would start with the EMS on the bottom, considering we have been asking for it for the last few versions.. ;D

Langdon

I love flying!
We still don't know if any time invested in this is necessary, obviously we are sharing the same software, if not there would be nothing to see, accidentally! Given Dynon can be quoted in another thread as stating that they will always make the classic/touch, the best they can be, I feel they should do so.
Not quite sure how the car and GPS comparison are relevant, it's more like updating your computer, if you require a new one you buy it, if you can run the new software version on your old one you download it. No-one's suggesting we're given an HDX.