High EGT

chrish

I have a D-180 connected to a Jabiru 3300. #5 EGT suddenly started indicating 2050 deg F. As this is a thermocouple it generates a voltage. The higher the voltage the higher the temperature. An open cct., or a short cct. should show zero volts which equals 0 temperature. This leads me to believe it is a problem with the D-180. Am I mistaken? Does a failure of the probe show as a high temp on the D-180? All other CHT's and EGT's are normal.

Stevec

Try swapping the probe to another cylinder and see what happens. If that does not change the result try the probe on another input to the D-180 that way you can eliminate either the probe or the D-180 Input.

GKC Aviation

Saw this recently when one of the EGT non braided wires chafed and shorted to the braid covering of another EGT sensor.
It was doing exactly what you describe.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If the sensor fails and/or floats, you can see some pretty random values. Most likely indicates a sensor or wiring issue. When something goes wrong with the unit itself, usually all of the channels are affected.

chrish

I investigated further and it's definitely the thermocouple. It reads open. I also switched the channel with another thermocouple and there's nothing wrong with the EFIS. I ordered a new thermocouple. I'm surprised that the EFIS reads a high temperature when the thermocouple is not putting out any power.