High Fuel Pressure Reading (99.9)

rdoerr

I have been flying my RV-10 (IO-540D4A5) for 2 years now with the EMS-D10 and the Injected Fuel Pressure Sender. Normally the reading is around 35 or so with the electric boost pump on, but lately it will spike to 99.9 and then reset to normal and then spike again. It is doing this the whole time while on final when I run the boost pump. Normally I get a spike when the electric pump is first turned on, but then it is stable, but now it is constantly going on and off with the 99.9 reading. Any ideas? As far as I can tell the boost pump sounds like it is running normally.

Ray Doerr

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
An off-scale high reading basically means an "open" connection. So perhaps it's an intermittent connection, or maybe the sensor is about ready to be replaced. It's tough to say. Have you by chance changed the way the sensor is grounded? That could affect things too.

RVJack

I am flying the same set up for around two years also and i am having the same problem............. any other suggestions?

DBRV10

I also have the same sensor and an RV10 with an IO540, I get a different problem with low spikes and it goes away when you put the boost pump on. I believe it is related to vapour locks in the pump or in the fuel pressure line from the pump due to heating from the engine in climb. once in the cruise and temps fallen it does not normally happen.

We get pressures fluctuating down around 12-14 PSI when it happens. Normally around 23-25 in flight.

DB ;)

randylsnarr

I have a very similar problem. I have been flying for about 8 months on my new ems 120. I run an injected 320. My fuel pressures were consistent around 30 PSI and with the boost pump they would bump to 45 or so momentarily and would settle down around 35. Now they spike to 99.9 and stay there with the boost pump on and are eratic.
Is my sender bad?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Always a possibility, but it's often not the sensor. In these cases, we recommend that you simply purchase a new sensor to try out if you want. Then, if the new one cures the problem, we'll refund the purchase price if you were still under warranty.