Holds, hits and course guidance

Cwerner

I have a Skyview HDX and an Avidyne ifd540. Working on my instrument rating we recently transitioned from timed vor holds with the nav radio to using the gps side of the ifd540. If I enter a flight plan and build a hold in the ifd540 when getting close to the hold I get a msg saying the type entry for the hold. When I roll into the turn the hits boxes go away and the needle on the hsi seems to show the inbound leg only ( it doesn't follow the hold pattern or give guidance on the outbound leg). On the moving map the magenta line shows the hold.

I have also had an issue with the hits boxes not showing when the direct to function is used. The boxes resume at the next way point. Some searching here on the forum it seems this may be the norm.

skysailor

Check with you instructor but I would think he would want you to turn HITS off. Pushing a wind corrected velocity vector through a HITS box will not teach much in the way of instruments and will actually degrade your scan. Does not solve your issue but you would hate to plan a checkride and find out HITS must be disabled completely if all your practice uses it. Personally, I do not allow HITS use during training.

Cwerner

Check with you instructor but I would think he would want you to turn HITS off. Pushing a wind corrected velocity vector through a HITS box will not teach much in the way of instruments and will actually degrade your scan. Does not solve your issue but you would hate to plan a checkride and find out HITS must be disabled completely if all your practice uses it. Personally, I do not allow HITS use during training.
I completely agree with what you are saying. This was the first time using the gps navigator. Before that I had only used vor nav, the holds were timed or dme distance. I learned a lot about wind correction and adjusting outbound times to have the correct inbound time. Same with dme arc. Thank you for the comment, I will likely turn the feature off to keep building my skills.

Merlinspop

I’m working on my IR now, too. When flying outbound, you can use the “Nearest” function to determine when you’re the right distance from the VOR/Navaid/Intersection to turn inbound. There might be an easier way, but it works for me so far.

skysailor

I’m working on my IR now, too. When flying outbound, you can use the “Nearest” function to determine when you’re the right distance from the VOR/Navaid/Intersection to turn inbound. There might be an easier way, but it works for me so far.
The hold point will be the active waypoint during a hold procedure. As such, the distance will be shown on your HSI at all times until you pass that point leaving the hold at which time the flight plan will sequence and it will give distance to the next point inbound which is the new active waypoint.

Merlinspop

The hold point will be the active waypoint during a hold procedure. As such, the distance will be shown on your HSI at all times until you pass that point leaving the hold at which time the flight plan will sequence and it will give distance to the next point inbound which is the new active waypoint.
I’ll have to check that after the plane gets out of annual. I’ve not looked at the data block at the HSI, but I’m fairly certain the Distance to next Waypoint data block on the map side shows distance to be flown (outbound leg, turn, then inbound) rather than the straight line distance to that waypoint. Looking forward to the annual being over and getting back at it.

G3Flyer

Any luck on figuring out why HITS disappears with a DIRECT TO with the Avidyne products?

Cwerner

Any luck on figuring out why HITS disappears with a DIRECT TO with the Avidyne products?
I have not found a solution for this issue. I did find a video of a guy with the same issue and he would keep repeating the direct to until the boxes showed up. I got that to work one time on a vfr flight, tried it while ifr the other day and with wind drift was getting off course so I gave up and just continued to fly the needles. The moving map shows the magenta line so the data should be there.