how to connect pitot line to Dynon pitot

You probably know that bug, plane is finshed, flying gets boring, so what to do next :-/?

Now I bought the Dynon heated pitot, to use that neat new AoA display on my D10A. My 5812 pitot had a AN786-1 coupling on the pitot side so the manufacturer of my kit recommended to do following connection, also to ease maintenance on the unit.

pitot.jpg

I could reuse that setup for hooking up the pitot and copy it for the AoA by just cutting down the 2 tubes on the Dynon and flaring them and adding two coupling nuts and a reduction from 3-2 in between.

What have others done?

Thanks for your feedback

Werner

josok

You did ask for it, so you will get my answer ;D
Just pressed the plastic hose a few cm down the tube, used one drop of glue.
This is not fuel, oil, and it is not rocket science. It's all added weight, costs and trouble.
What kind of maintenance do you expect?

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

Hi Jos,

I don't mind any opinion  ::), as an example I do change right now my 5812, if I would have glued the tube I might have a hard time to remove it from the wing and sell it for good money thereafter.

My wing is relatively thin, so there is a reason to add the additional alu tubing, first for heat transfer (ok the 5812 was much hotter on the tube probably then the Dynon one), so I avoid a melting plastik tube.

Due to the thin wing I would need to cut the alu tubes on the pitot down to about 4" and then the plastic tube would bend and touch the upper skin, no idea how much load that brings onto the alu in the pitot.

I know some more connection could cause an issue (so far in 4 yrs and 315hrs no leak), but its easier to disasemble in the thin wing (it's not an RV  :eek: ).

Ok so I wait for more opinions ;)

Werner

N941WR

Werner,

I tried all those connections as shown in your diagram and they leaked.  The guy who did my pitot-static check found the leak and suggested I connect them like this:

(Click on picture)

meljordan

Bill,

Your installation, with the section of rubber tubing connecting the Pitot and AOA aluminum lines to the plastic lines is exactly what I did in my RV-6A and they work great. Simple, cheap, light and leak proof. I have over 900 hours on my system and it passes the pitot static check with no problem. On mine I used sections of 6mm silicon tubing that they sell in "motorsport" shops for use as vacuum hose in the turbo compact cars, it works great, is very flexible and you can buy different colors to color code your lines under the instrument panel. I use red for pitot, blue for static and yellow for AOA. Makes keeping the lines straight really easy when you have a couple of Dynon's in your panel.

Best Regards,
Mel Jordan
Tucson