IAS to CAS

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
Hi Dynon, is there a way to correct IAS to CAS? The wind and other computations are wrong if not....
Thanks for an answer.

GalinHdz

There is no way to "correct" IAS for CAS in the SkyView becasue, in a well designed system, IAS and CAS should be within a few knots of each other. An error like this normally indicates a problem with the location of your pitot/static system. The problem will show up as errors in speed, winds, altitude and other calculations. This has been discussed in multiple threads with the last one happening just a few days ago.

Last edited:

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
Sorry. That was not my question. My system has no errors. I only want to have correct values.

GalinHdz

Sorry. That was not my question. My system has no errors. I only want to have correct values.
There is no IAS to CAS correction capability in SkyView, or any other name brand EFIS that I know of, because IAS and CAS should be within a few knots of each other. I hate to say this but it sounds like your system has a dynamic airflow error which makes wind, altitude and other calculations wrong. Not that uncommon with EAB aircraft. I had this same situation in my airplane.

:cool:

Last edited:

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
hi dynon,
could you pls answer my question, i.e. given IAS, known CAS, how to enter the correction into SV? Thanks

RVDan

I love flying!
If your pitot static system has no errors (not likely errors are 0) then, IAS=CAS. In a typical static system there will be < 3 kts error between the two, which in the scope of the wind calculations is small enough to be ignored. No EFIS that I am aware of allows the entry of CAS to correct IAS.

GalinHdz

In zero wind flight, TAS will match ground speed.
Not if the pitot/static system is providing the EFIS with a wrong IAS value. In a modern EFIS, TAS is calculated based on IAS, among other variables, so a wrong IAS will give a wrong TAS. "Garbage in, garbage out."

Last edited: