IFR Flying and Route Display on the Map

rfazio1951

I've been flying and filing lately with my new IFR ticket, and I love the way the Skyview works. I've got autopilot and a Garmin 430W. One minor glitch I think in the way everything works together is the way the Skyview displays the route on screen. If you want to display the Garmin route or the Skyview route you have to go into FLP then FLP Menu I think, I can't even remember, then scroll down to select the opposite source and say ok? It seems crazy. The source for navigation is selected on the button module with one press. You can jump to which ever source you want. But to display that source as a route on the map screen is a project. I think it needs to be made easier to swap. Could a contact be made to swap route sources or maybe just an easier to get to FLP menu item? I'm wondering what others think?

jabarr

I've always thought that it would make more sense to have the map display the pfd source by default with the ability to switch if desired. It is quite an undertaking as it is now as you've discovered.

rfazio1951

Tim,

I see an old post there about GATTS, nothing new?

Jabarr,

I agree the source being the default display could work. It would be better than it is now for sure.

Richard

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Two questions:

1) What do you expect the map to show if you choose a VHF source (VOR/ILS) on the HSI?

2) Does anyone have a use case where the flight plan source changing automatically based on the HSI source would cause a problem?

rfazio1951

1. I would expect the map to show the same as if I had the Garmin selected as a route source.

2. I can't think of a reason I would want one source for the HSI and a different source for the map route.

rfazio1951

Maybe a good way to have it work would be to add an other choice in the FLP menu. Have the choices be Skyview, Garmin, in my case, and the third choice be "HSI Source".

jabarr

Two questions:

1) What do you expect the map to show if you choose a VHF source (VOR/ILS) on the HSI?

2) Does anyone have a use case where the flight plan source changing automatically based on the HSI source would cause a problem?

1) I would think that the last map source used should still be displayed when selecting a vhf source.

2) I have a Garmin 496 as my second gps source. I don't think it's capable of supplying map info to be displayed on the skyview. Not sure how that would be handled if set to auto display the map from a source selection.

I like the idea of a simple map selection on the flight plan menu.

rfazio1951

When I choose the GARMIN (430W) source in my set up, the map shows a GPS course to the ILS and then the ILS course down to the runway, I'm almost positive. I'll check that, basically you would want it to show, in my set up with the Skyview and a 430W, the Skybiew route or the 430W route as from the 430W, which ever you have sourced.

swatson999

I have to say I'm having a hard time figuring out when I'd want the map to show a course that is different than what the HSI is showing. That added to the fact that nowhere on the map does it display what the source is could lead to some serious confusion.

I like the idea of having an option to have it use the HSI source, unless overridden somehow, and to put up some small display showing the source *if it's different than the HSI*.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The flight plan source is always shown on the map, in the lower left corner. On Touchscreen devices, tap this to change sources.

swatson999

Oh, yeah, THERE it is...DOH!

OK, so that answers that half of the question.

I still can't figure out why one would have one flight plan on the map and another driving the HSI.

The problem is not when they're wildly different (you'd no doubt figure that out pretty quickly). It's when they're *almost* the same, but different enough to be confusing and/or dangerous (like on approach).