IFR with EMS 100 and HS34

TundraJoe

1. For VOR approaches, I assume that there is no 30 day instrument check.
2.The static port is used only for airspeed( right ?)--I believe the FAA requires 2 static ports to compensate for errors associated with lateral movement and icing--also an alternate static source is required--with the Dynon equipment, is a second and an alternate required ?
3. Is the EFIS showing indicated or calibrated airspeed?
4. An ILS approach has outer and inner marker visual and audio alarms--does Dynon equipment have such or is that the GPS ( Garmin 430 W) function ?

PilotKris

1. WRONG. All VOR receivers must have a 30 day check to be used IFR

2. The static port is used for AS and VSI and ALT. On certified aircraft, the static source required is the one listed in the type certificate. For SLSA it's the one provided by the manufacture. For experimental, the builder is on his own (but see the numerous posts on Static Source Position Error). An alternate is required for IFR flight but it could include breaking the glass of one of the instruments (not valid for the Dynon).

3. By definition, INDICATED (see other posts about CAS vs. IAS)

4. The requirement for marker beacons (to fly an ILS) can only be satisfied by having a marker beacon receiver (GPS is not a substitute). Dynon does not have a MB receiver

khorton

2.The static port is used only for airspeed( right ?)--I believe the FAA requires 2 static ports to compensate for errors associated with lateral movement and icing--also an alternate static source is required--with the Dynon equipment, is a second and an alternate required ?
3. Is the EFIS showing indicated or calibrated airspeed?
4. An ILS approach has outer and inner marker visual and audio alarms--does Dynon equipment have such or is that the GPS ( Garmin 430 W) function ?
The regulatory requirements vary, depending on which country you are in, and what class of aircraft you have (type-certificated, amateur-built, LSA, etc).

Which country are you in, and what class of aircraft are you asking about?

TundraJoe

I have an experimental ( amateur built) and am in the USA.
I haven't checked with my avionics shop, which is doing the installation right now, but I don't believe that the Dynon EMS D100 uses static for anything but airspeed.
Also, there is no VOR display, so one cannot perform a 30 day check. Perhaps, when using an IFR certified GPS to do a VOR approach, one is not really using a VOR and therefor there is no need to do a VOR check ?
Thanks for the input.
Frank

jim

Substitutions are permitted for the Outer Marker:
Radar
NDB (Locator OM)
GPS (if OM/LOM/Intersection is in db of IFR certified GPS*)

Must have MB for Middle & Inner Markers (IM only Cat II/III)

IFR does not require two static sources. Requirements are per the Type Certificate Data Sheet for the specific aircraft. My 1951 Piper Pacer is legal for IFR with 2 venturis (i.e., no vacuum pump) and NO static source (i.e., static connectors on VSI and ASI not plumbed). FAR 135 (Air taxi) requires a heated pitot tube. I'd have to check but it could also require an alternate static source. When my Pacer was built, an artificial horizon was not required for IFR (although it is now by FAR 91).

*IFR certified GPS requires TSO approved GPS installed IAW mfgrs manual with completed 337. This is for certified aircraft. I assume it's the same for experimentals.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The EFIS uses static for Airspeed AND Altitude. The Pitot is also used for airspeed.

It is possible to display a VOR on the EFIS. If you have an SL-30 you can just plug that in to the serial port. If you have another radio, you can use our HS34 to bring in VOR/ILS info. With the HS34 we can display the output of a marker beacon receiver, but we don't do the actual receiving- you'll need another device to do that.

khorton

I have an experimental ( amateur built) and am in the USA.
Also, there is no VOR display, so one cannot perform a 30 day check. Perhaps, when using an IFR certified GPS to do a VOR approach, one is not really using a VOR and therefor there is no need to do a VOR check ?

If you are using the IFR certified GPS to do the approach, the VOR signals are not being used at all.  So there is no need to do a VOR check.

In the US, there are absolutely no regulatory requirements on static ports for amateur-built aircraft, even if you fly IFR.  But, common sense, and a healthy desire for self preservation, suggest that you would want the static system to be reasonably accurate under expected flight conditions, including small angles of sideslip, and you would want to have an alternate static source if you plan to fly IFR.

It is useful to have this wonderful environment where we can do what makes sense when fitting our aircraft for IFR flight, without having to worry about documenting compliance with myriad regulations.  But, if we want this situation to continue, we should do what it takes to ensure that amateur-built aircraft are not the cause of accidents or problems in the IFR system.  Builders should do some basic ground and flight testing to confirm that the static system has acceptable static source position errors.

PhantomPholly

Substitutions are permitted for the Outer Marker:
Radar
NDB (Locator OM)
GPS (if OM/LOM/Intersection is in db of IFR certified GPS*)

Must have MB for Middle & Inner Markers (IM only Cat II/III)

Well, depends. SOME Middle Markers are also GPS fixes and so an IFR approved GPS can be used. Also, some approaches allow TIMING which can substitute for the Middle Marker (and, if they do, I personally would "accept" my IFR GPS's idea of the location of the Middle Marker as being more accurate than the timing!). For an ILS, you generally don't care about the Middle Marker (using Decision Height as your criteria instead).

So - ALWAYS check the approach plate; it will tell you what you need to identify all the points of the approach.

:)