ILS/RNAV

Jeff1

looking at purchasing an RV8A. It has SV1000, SV700, GPS 250, Garmin 530W, XPNDR 261, ADSB470. Plus coms.
I need to be able to do ILS and RNAV approaches. Will the above equipment do that?

Jeff1

Thank you for all the responses. Was thinking the aircraft would need a localizer and glide slope antenna to receive the signals from the ground

Raymo

I love aviation!
The 530W is a NAV/COM/GPS (WAAS), which is providing your transponder with a position source for ADS-B out. It also feeds the Dynon screen(s) with position data. You'll have a NAV antenna connected to a splitter that feeds the NAV and GS antenna connectors on the back of the 530.

kellym

I love flying!
Thank you for all the responses. Was thinking the aircraft would need a localizer and glide slope antenna to receive the signals from the ground
Most aircraft use VOR antenna for both localizer and GS, via a splitter. A few will have a separate GS antenna.

airguy

And typically it's not a true splitter that's used - but actually a diplexer.

The difference is that the splitter is literally just a "T" connection that sends half the signal strength each direction, resulting in a lower quality signal for both end devices. A diplexer actually serves as a bandpass filter that captures most of the energy of a particular frequency range and blocks other frequency ranges. Since the localizer and glideslope are on different frequencies but come in on the same antenna, this works well and sends 80%-90% of the signal strength of the desired frequency to the desired output of the diplexer, which is then routed to your device. This gives a higher signal strength and better service.

Diplexers are, of course, more expensive than splitters - you get what you pay for.

Jeff1

Thx Airguy. Live in the Pacific NW and get lots of MVFR or IFR and need ILS. I’ll make sure there is a diplexer or put one om

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
> And typically it's not a true splitter that's used - but actually a diplexer.

When visually inspecting the cables of the airplane how can you determine what device you have installed?

airguy

> And typically it's not a true splitter that's used - but actually a diplexer.

When visually inspecting the cables of the airplane how can you determine what device you have installed?

You would need to look at the label on the "splitter" device to be sure. Follow the coax from the antenna to the splitter/diplexer.

jethound

I have a VOR antenna and it works well for the ILS approaches thru the GTN 650. I dig around for the model number have it mounted on the aft fuselage just abeam the horizontal stab