Internal battery total discharge

thebora

I seem to have hit a bit of a problem. The 'keep alive' line is wired through a switch panel, so that it is permanently connected to the aircraft battery buss.

I have just come back from a couple of days away and found the main aircraft battery completely flat and so was the internal backup battery on the D100.

I put the battery on charge, but although it is now fully charged, the D100 is indicating 0.00V for the internal battery. I have just removed the internal battery and checked it on a meter and it indicates zero volts, so it looks as though it has developed a fault which has caused it to discharge the main battery through the 'keep alive' circuit.

Any (helpful!) suggestions?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What version of software are you running on your EFIS? This situation was a known possibility in older software that we believe we fixed in the latest 3.0 software.

The battery is not damaged, it's just totally empty. When it gets below 12V inside, a protection circuit kicks in and it goes to 0V.

So when the newer version is loaded the circuit will be "unlocked" and recharging is possible again? Or it is recharged but the voltage shows 0.00 and you can run it from the internal battery and the newer version just unlocks the display??

br Werner

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It's a bit more complicated than that, but the end effect you should see is that when you're running version 3.0 and beyond and have an internal battery installed, you should never see 0.0 volts if the battery is working. The 0.0V is displayed not because of a display mechanism error, but because the battery charging routine would previously incorrectly decide that the battery was not in the system at all. After making that determination, it would just "gives up" and doesn't look on the circuit for it anymore, which leads tot he 0.0V display.

Ok thanks for the clarification so it would no longer charge the battery with Software before 3.0.

Need to go then to my friend to update his D100 and DEK180  ::)

br Werner