Is a wet compass still required?

13brv3

Greetings,

I know this topic has been hashed out on a number of different forums, but have we reached a consensus of whether you are required to have a wet compass, if you already have an EFIS with an EDC?

I'm thinking that the EFIS should satisfy the regs, but I fear that any particular DAR might see it differently. I'd like to skip the wet compass if possible.

Thanks,
Rusty

enewton

I have done a lot of research and the answer is it depends on your DAR or FAA inspector's interpretaion. If you are building an experimental aircraft, it falls under part 91.205 which says it must have a "Magnetic Heading Indicator".

The Dynon EFIS with a EDC qualifies as a magnetic heading indicator so the answer is you do not have to have a whiskey compass.

That said, I have read many stories of DAR's and FAA inspectors requiring a whiskey compass. I plan to call my DAR and ask him for his interpretion of the requirement prior to the inspection.

Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
Bearhawk #682

enewton

Just an update. I called my DAR who is a retired FAA inspector. He stated that experimental aircraft are under part 91.205 which states "Magnetic Heading Indicator". He said the Dynon with compass qualifies as long as it is driven by the magnetic field of the earth. You are not required to have an independent compass for an experimental aircraft just something that indicates the magnetic direction of the aircraft.

Eric Newton

ericd

Our compass does satisfy the requirements for a magnetic heading device as defined by part 91.205 since it does obtain it's info from the magnetic field of the earth.

With that being said, it is up to the individual pilot to ensure that they feel comfortable with the devices installed in thier planes. A backup never hurts even though it may not be required.

We are not suggesting that you need a wet compass but are only urging you to ensure that you have what you need in order to be safe.

Eric
Dynon

N941WR

Rusty,

It is my understanding that some of the new airliners don't even have a wet compass and if they did, they wouldn't work because of the EMI in the cockpit. That said...

The week before my inspection a friend had his plane inspected by a retiring member from the local FISDO. The guy was surprised to see "glass" in a homebuilt and wouldn't let him pass with just the D180. So he put a boat compass on his glair shield and the guy passed him.

Knowing this, I velcroed an old aviation compass on my glair shield for the visit from the same gentleman. Needless to say, it was removed before he even got off the airport.