Landing Gear Inputs to EMS

peterbarber

I love flying!
Dynon drawing 103488-000 shows EMS inputs for gear down (three) and gear transit circuits. Pages 7-70 and 7-71 of the SkyView System Installation Guide show how to configure the inputs. It's not clear how the logic works to cause gear warnings, i.e., per page 12-11 of the HDX Pilot's User Guide, will the system give a “Check Gear” audio alert if individual gear are not down? Does the “Gear Overspeed” audio alert check that all three gear are down? Also, is there an audio alert associated with the gear transit circuit? My HDX system is installed in a Lancair 360 and I would like to configure all four inputs if possible.

kurtfly

I love flying!
Peter,

I recently configured my Skyview Touch to take advantage of the increased Landing Gear contacts. If you follow the naming conventions ("GEAR", "GEAR1", "GEAR2", or "GEAR3") and status them correctly "UP" and "DOWN", any combination of "GEAR(x)" that is "UP" when you slow below IAS set speed will trigger the audio response "CHECK GEAR". If any "GEAR(x)" is "DOWN" and IAS is above MAX GEAR SPEED you will get the audio response "GEAR OVERSPEED".

In previous SV versions it only had one "GEAR" contact available for the audio responses. I previously had only the nose gear monitored by naming it "GEAR". The two main gears were named "LMAIN" and "RMAIN". all three were displayed on the screen but only the nose gear was monitored for the audible response. So, the new SV software is an improvement as it monitors all three gear legs in case something causes one to hang.

My only complaint is the naming convention GEAR, GEAR1.... I did prefer my own naming convention "NOSE", "LMAIN", "RMAIN". But if I named these custom, I would loose the Audible response.

Not sure what you can do about an "In Transit" as the gear contacts are binary (up, down). If any/all of the enabled contacts meet the speed threshold, it will drive the appropriate audible response. Any missmatch of the GEAR(x) contacts is a in-transit condition.

Kurt Rutkowski
Glasair Super II -RG
Skyview 10" Touch

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It's basically designed to be conservative. If ANY gear is down (as in transit or stuck) when you get to the overspeed threshold, SkyView will trigger overspeed once at that speed. Likewise, if any gear is not in the down position, it'll trigger the check gear warning once below that speed.

N707SR

I have installed Zenair 1450A floats on my Rans S-7. I do not have micro switches installed yet, but if I understand it correctly I could simulate them by installing an On/Off switch next to my gear switch (which is momentary UP or DOWN) that I would put Up = On when I raise the gear and Down = Off when I lower the gear. If I wired it between a 5V pin on the EMS and an available General Purpose pin, say C2, I think it would show 5V when Up and 0V when Down, and therefore activate the audio gear alert and the colored circles on the panel. I'd like a reality check on this before trying it though.