Mounting MP transducer

swatson999

What is the recommended way to mount the manifold pressure transducer? It has some funky mounting holes on the sides, presumably because it's geared toward automotive installations or something, that look like they were designed for some sort of clamp or other gizmo. The holes are not *quite* #10, but in any case that won't work because the head of a #10 won't go into the slot, nor will a #8, and a #6 is way too small.

So what's the answer here?

TIA!

Steve

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
A common solution is to place a washer over the top, and then use a long bolt (Probably #8).

schristo

I used a couple of -3 bolts with nutplates...

img3393it.jpg

img3394h.jpg

jakej

Stephen

Just a thought - why not raise it higher than the output from the cylinder, that way any 'backwash' material won't damage the transducer? I've known it to happen ;)

Jake J

alibi7

Just curious to know where u attached the MP line to the engine. Mine is attached to the bottom of #3 cylinder. Top of #3 is connected to the primer system. Haven't fiqured out where i will attach the cylinder temp probe for that cylinder?

mmarien

Murray M.
On my engine (O-320) there were three primers so I used the unused primer hole on cylinder 2 to attach the MP. Seems to work fine. It comes out the bottom of the head just above the intake manifold. I have a clear plastic hose as part of the attachment and there doesn't seem to be any backwash.

I used the bayonet style CHT probes from Dynon. There is a special hole on the bottom of the cylinder for the probes.

mmarien

Murray M.
I used copper fittings and tubing to get it clear of the engine and then used clear vinyl tubing that fit the nipple on the MP transducer. It has a hundred hours on it with no problems.

jakej

Or ... Try -4 AN fittings and small length of alum tube near cylinder and  Tygon hose to sensor - also don't forget to use a 'restrictor' (cyl end) to dampen any fluctuations in readings.

Jake J

swatson999

I went from the bottom of #3 cylinder to the firewall per Van's plans/instructions (with their stock steel-braided line), and used their restrictor to pass through the firewall.  Thence, via some automotive tubing and a sort of "universal" adapter to size it up from the restrictor to the size needed for the MP transducer, which is mounted on the side of the forward fuselage rib, thus above the rest of the system.  Got some nice locking plastic clips for securing the rubber hoses at all points.  Coupla screws and washers and such, and she's in, nice and solid with a good set of lines to the cylinder.  Piece of cake.  (Haven't cut wires yet and assembled the plug to the EMS, that's next, but easily done).

swatson999

Just curious to know where u attached the MP line to the engine. Mine is attached to the bottom of #3 cylinder. Top of #3 is connected to the primer system. Haven't fiqured out where i will attach the cylinder temp probe for that cylinder?

Hmmmm...this sounds wrong. Are you saying you put the fitting to get MP in the same location as you used for CHT on cylinders 1, 2 and 4?