Moving Map

I just wonder, many suppliers relay either on a database from Jeppesen or they offer just for the US a perfect database and the rest of the world is not very accurate. What are Dynons planes/ideas for that?

br

Werner

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We expect to provide free US data, and then work with a supplier like Jeppesen for the rest of the world. We ship many units out of the US and understand that international customers will need this data.

We're not sure of the timeframe on non-US data though- it will most likely not be right when the units first ship.

PhantomPholly

When you say "free US data," does that include Airways and Approaches? That information is available for "free" but somehow always seems to be something you have to pay for...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our plan is that anything we get for free will be passed on for free. Full approaches and airways will probably not be in the first software release.

triple7driver

I certainly hope that the ability to add approach plates and taxiway diagrams will be left as an option to those of us wanting to do so. By the way it was nice to meet all of you up at Oshkosh ! You do look taller on TV though ;D

PhantomPholly

I certainly hope that the ability to add approach plates and taxiway diagrams will be left as an option to those of us wanting to do so.

I think they are implying that that will be included, just not in the first software release. Airways and approaches are all part of the "free data" available; Jeppesen just puts them into a convenient format.

vatkinson

I see your pics show the new units in the horizontal mode... will we be able to have them in the VERTICAL mode??? that is the whole box installed vertical ??? Most maps work better in that mode since we are covering so much ground so quick.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't have any plans to offer the product in a vertical orientation. There's a few reasons:

1) LCDs are made to be viewed at certain angles. The displays we use would not work well rotated 90 degrees. We could go for a full custom LCD, but that could double the cost of the product and we'd end up with a year delay like Garmin did on the G600.

2) The 10" is basically as high as the 7" would be if rotated. I doubt many panels can support the 10" vertical. So if you want a tall map, just buy a 10" display. It's the same size as two 7" verticals.

3) The knobs and buttons would not work well in a vertical orientation, so suddenly we're talking about a whole different product in software and hardware. The volume probably doesn't justify this.