My Own Traffic

n456ts

Do not write below this line
Hi. 
Today I got two traffic alerts created by myself.  I'm not sure what the status of this issue.  Is this considered to be normal for ADS-B in via TIS-B?  I was doing s-turns and other not easily predictable maneuvers (ie, not a straight path).  The Skyviews are on the latest software and the Dynon xponder is on the latest FW.  Not a big deal, but if it shouldn't happen in this situation, I'm still seeing it.  If that's considered normal, then nothing to see here....

n456ts

Do you have your tail number and hex code set up in the Skyview?

Yes and I think with the "N" is in front, but I'll have to verify.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Also, did you happen to note whether you were in ADS-B coverage or TIS-A coverage?

What is your ADS-B GPS position source?

n456ts

My ADS-B IN is the SV-XPNDR-261 transponder, so it was TIS-B. I don't have the UAT-in box. My GPS is the SV-GPS-250.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Without ADS-B, you have TIS-A, not TIS-B. They are totally different, which is unfortunate give the names.

Your experience is just the way TIS-A works. Maneuvering often makes it lose track of you and show yourself as a target.

n456ts

Ah, very good. Never heard of TIS-A before. I had to look it up...and just when I thought I was finally figuring out all the different ways ADS-B works.

rlmarshall

Today, I got the shadow target (00 altitude right over me) for the whole flight from KSMX to KSZP. After Breakfast the exact same thing on the way back to KSMX. I have never had this problem for so long. Usually (once every 10-20 flt hrs, or so) the shadow target disappears quickly. I am up to date on updates, 14.2.1, Garmin 650, ADSB, Dynon Transponder. By the way, I pulled the Transponder CB and that had no affect. I was showing " ADSB OK" and "No Radar" at times. Is there nothing we can do about this?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Bob - we've seen isolated incidents like this when the FAA's system has been having issues, and they generally clear up themselves. If it keeps happening, please let us know and we'll ping our contacts at the FAA to see if there's anything systemically going on. Did you happen to run an FAA compliance report on your aircraft after equipping with your 2020-compliant setup?

rlmarshall

Happened again today. Really distracting--especially while tracking a departure procedure. Yes I got an ok on my ADSB FAA Compliance Report on 10/3/15 attached.

Attachments

• FAA_ADSB_InFlight_Compliance_Report__10_3_15.pdf
    278.6 KB · Views: 139

n456ts

I had a odd one today. It claimed my "shadow" was going perpendicular to my direction of travel. I was flying a fixed heading.

If I add on the UAT-in box, this issue should stop, right? If I understand correctly, UAT provides the N-numbers to Skyview and Skyview ignores it's own N number. Correct?

airguy

This happened to me on Tuesday afternoon leaving Oshkosh, near Madison WI. I'm going to assume that it was due to FAA computer workload, but man it sure got my attention in that particular situation with all the local traffic.

I'm running the latest software on Skyview with the Dynon transponder, GPS 2020 and UAT, this is the first time I've seen a radar ghost with this setup. It only lasted maybe 30 seconds.

J

Jrskygod

I had the same issue on the 30th. I got an aleart about 50 miles southwest of Madison and it remained on until I landed 2 1/2 hours later. After I refueled and got airborne i did not recieve any more alerts for the remainder of the trip. This is the second time I have had this anomaly in the year and half I have been flying with the Dynon setup. Sure does get your attention when it goes off. I always make a sharp turn and if the conflict follows then I know it is my shadow and not another plane.