Need general information on the AP

brennon24

I am having the HDX screens with dynon AP and the external SV-AP-PANEL/H and knob controller installed and would like to start studying up so the question is, where do I find documents that show how the features work and how to test the autopilot on the ground and maybe checking all the features in the air to make sure everything is functioning correctly?
Thanks!!!

RV8JD

For the Experimental products, check out the User Guides and the Installation Manuals available here:

And the watch the Dynon instructional videos on their YouTube channel:

Hope that helps,

brennon24

That's a great start and I have watched hours of instructional videos so hopefully I will be prepared. Thanks man!

brennon24

The installation manual is a start. You'll really need this https://dynonavionics.com/public_ht...n-Flight_Tuning_Guide-Rev_A_Software_v6_0.pdf and lot's of patience. But don't forget to do your compass calibrations on the ground and in the air otherwise you can forget holding a heading.
I have done one ground compass cal and multiple airborne calibrations. My numbers are low 70s and Im thinking I need to install a remote magnetometer. Before I do, is there any suggestions? Thanks!

Ricardo Godoy

adahrs is installed in a place without electromagnetic interference ?? Is the structure of your aircraft metallic?

brennon24

adahrs is installed in a place without electromagnetic interference ?? Is the structure of your aircraft metallic?
Cannot say that there is no interference but there shouldn't be much and I have the dual adahrs (just for info.) Aircraft is all composite.(velocity)

XPRSAV8R

Cannot say that there is no interference but there shouldn't be much and I have the dual adahrs (just for info.) Aircraft is all composite.(velocity)
I have an all composite plane, too. I have dual ADAHRS installed in the tail. In my case, I did not install an additional magnetometer. However, note that they are ultra sensitive and your calibrations need to be in the 90s for reliability.

As an example, I initially made the mistake of performing airborne calibrations without compass swings on the ground. My autopilot wasn't able to hold a heading until I performed both.

Also, I recently installed an A/C unit into my plane and made the mistake of running a scat hose about half meter from the ADAHRS. SkyView would worn "cross check attitude" or something to that effect. Once I replaced the hose with a vinyl one, the problem went away. Not sure where your ADAHRS units are installed, but you may want to locate in the wing to reduce magnetic interference since you have avionics in front and a rear mounted engine.

brennon24

I have an all composite plane, too. I have dual ADAHRS installed in the tail. In my case, I did not install an additional magnetometer. However, note that they are ultra sensitive and your calibrations need to be in the 90s for reliability.

As an example, I initially made the mistake of performing airborne calibrations without compass swings on the ground. My autopilot wasn't able to hold a heading until I performed both.

Also, I recently installed an A/C unit into my plane and made the mistake of running a scat hose about half meter from the ADAHRS. SkyView would worn "cross check attitude" or something to that effect. Once I replaced the hose with a vinyl one, the problem went away. Not sure where your ADAHRS units are installed, but you may want to locate in the wing to reduce magnetic interference since you have avionics in front and a rear mounted engine.
Sweet, Thanks!