New feature request: Copy flight plan

skysailor

I have a certified WAAS IFR navigation receiver used with my Skyview system. The flight plan loaded in that unit flows over ARINC and is shown as a tab on the Skyview flight plans page. Like most modern navigation units it can load routes utilizing T routes, Jet airways, Victor routes, SIDs, STARs etc. putting all included points into the flight plan. An single IFR routing might include using most of these. I know setting the HSI source to the IFR navigator (GNS 480 in my case) will allow the autopilot to fly the entire route in the proper sequence. It would be helpful if there were a way to have the Dynon copy the route from the IFR navigator flight plan tab to the Skyview tab. This would allow the possibly long and complicated cleared route to be transferred to the Skyview in a single step instead of inputting each point individually.

The value here would be a scenario where there are ATC traffic management issues or weather requiring a revised routing. I input my clearance in the IFR navigator and set the HSI source to navigate from it. As I fly the route I would copy the flight plan to the Skyview flight plan. If a routing change were to become necessary, I would fly from the Skyview flight plan while utilizing the IFR navigator to plan/review the proposed new route. When an acceptable revised routing clearance was given, it could be loaded in to the IFR navigator and navigation changed back to the IFR navigator flight plan. Once settled on the new cleared routing, the Skyview flight plan could be copied from the IFR navigator again to allow planning for other possible changes.

I utilize the feature the existing Import/Export feature for flight plans to a USD storage device extensively. Since the flight plans are simply saved a text file listing the points in order, the saved files are very small and move immediately. I would think the Copy Flight Plan feature would use the existing method normally used to import/export but take the info from the IFR navigator tab. No information would be sent to the IFR navigator. A flight last year in the congested airspace of the northeast resulted in my IFR clearance being changed with a full route clearance three times in the space of ten minutes and all required different T, Victor and STARs. Having the Skyview navigate from the IFR navigator made this workable. The ability to copy the route would have made planning for future route amendments even easier.

chousley

I agree and think this would be a safety enhancing addition to the SkyView platform.
SkyView - Garmin GNC 355 in my case.
On other aircraft I also fly with Honeywell FMS and the ability to fly with the systems operating in “Dual” ( synced up with the same flight plan and perf data) or “Initiated Transfer” ( manually pushing / or copying a new flight plan over to the the other FMS) is a very nice feature to have.

tbfisher

I have two SV 10" Classic displays with a Garmin area 796 between them. The Garmin supplies GPS data to the SV just fine. However, I cannot get the flight plan in the Garmin to show up in a second flight plan tab to be used by SV.
Is this possible? If so, how do I set it up correctly?
Thx for any help:)
TBoone
(0TX1) In Texas

jnmeade

Does this mean for some period of time you would be flying on an IFR flight plan without using approved IFR equipment?

tbfisher

No.....it means that I could PRACTICE flying IFR plans much easier with equipment that I already own.
BUT as any experienced pilot knows, in the end, it is always up to the PIC. :)

TBoone Fisher EE AME ATP(10K+ hrs and ATR type)
0TX1, Texas

jnmeade

No.....it means that I could PRACTICE flying IFR plans much easier with equipment that I already own.
BUT as any experienced pilot knows, in the end, it is always up to the PIC. :)

TBoone Fisher EE AME ATP(10K+ hrs and ATR type)
0TX1, Texas
OK, I understand now. You would fly IFR on the SkyView, you just wouldn't admit it. How silly of me to not have thought of that before.

tbfisher

OK, I understand now. You would fly IFR on the SkyView, you just wouldn't admit it. How silly of me to not have thought of that before.
I think you may be projecting your own tendencies onto others.
Get over it<VBG>

tbfisher

I have a certified WAAS IFR navigation receiver used with my Skyview system. The flight plan loaded in that unit flows over ARINC and is shown as a tab on the Skyview flight plans page. Like most modern navigation units it can load routes utilizing T routes, Jet airways, Victor routes, SIDs, STARs etc. putting all included points into the flight plan. An single IFR routing might include using most of these. I know setting the HSI source to the IFR navigator (GNS 480 in my case) will allow the autopilot to fly the entire route in the proper sequence. It would be helpful if there were a way to have the Dynon copy the route from the IFR navigator flight plan tab to the Skyview tab. This would allow the possibly long and complicated cleared route to be transferred to the Skyview in a single step instead of inputting each point individually.

The value here would be a scenario where there are ATC traffic management issues or weather requiring a revised routing. I input my clearance in the IFR navigator and set the HSI source to navigate from it. As I fly the route I would copy the flight plan to the Skyview flight plan. If a routing change were to become necessary, I would fly from the Skyview flight plan while utilizing the IFR navigator to plan/review the proposed new route. When an acceptable revised routing clearance was given, it could be loaded in to the IFR navigator and navigation changed back to the IFR navigator flight plan. Once settled on the new cleared routing, the Skyview flight plan could be copied from the IFR navigator again to allow planning for other possible changes.

I utilize the feature the existing Import/Export feature for flight plans to a USD storage device extensively. Since the flight plans are simply saved a text file listing the points in order, the saved files are very small and move immediately. I would think the Copy Flight Plan feature would use the existing method normally used to import/export but take the info from the IFR navigator tab. No information would be sent to the IFR navigator. A flight last year in the congested airspace of the northeast resulted in my IFR clearance being changed with a full route clearance three times in the space of ten minutes and all required different T, Victor and STARs. Having the Skyview navigate from the IFR navigator made this workable. The ability to copy the route would have made planning for future route amendments even easier.
See page 138 in the SkyView Classic manual. Isn't this almost the functionality you are looking for? In addition to using an external navigator as a nav source, it allows one to display the external flight plan of the SkyView map(page 139):

-TBoone

tbfisher

I think you may be projecting your own tendencies onto others.
Get over it<VBG>
Also, IF you don't have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to add, please keep it to yourself. I don't think anyone here is interested in your condescending accusations and/or opinions.

skysailor

See page 138 in the SkyView Classic manual. Isn't this almost the functionality you are looking for? In addition to using an external navigator as a nav source, it allows one to display the external flight plan of the SkyView map(page 139):

-TBoone
The flight plan shows up in the Skyview but I cannot copy it to the Skyview flight plan tab unless I want to enter each point, letter by letter. The feature I want is to have the flight plan show up in the IFR navigator flight plan tab (as it now does) and be able to tell the Skyview to copy that flight plan to the Skyview flight plan tab. Both would now be identical. If changes were required (upcoming weather, ATC routing change etc) I could continue to fly my cleared route on the Skyview while making the changes on the IFR navigator. If I can accept the clearance I would do so and switch navigation back to the IFR navigator. At this point I would copy the new cleared route back to Skyview so I'm ready if the process requires another iteration plus I have a nice backup of the cleared route. If the IFR navigator were to fail (reboot without retaining the flight plan as mentioned above or just simply fail) I can continue on the cleared route while I inform ATC without missing a turn that might cause a separation issue. This is a fairly serious threat in the crowded airspace of the northeast.

tbfisher

SV allows exporting a SV FP to a memory stick. Will it allow you to export the IFR navigator FP also?
If so, could you then import it back into the SV FP?

I would try this myself but I can't get my 796 to show up as a second FP tab ..... yet.

TBoone

tbfisher

The flight plan shows up in the Skyview but I cannot copy it to the Skyview flight plan tab unless I want to enter each point, letter by letter. The feature I want is to have the flight plan show up in the IFR navigator flight plan tab (as it now does) and be able to tell the Skyview to copy that flight plan to the Skyview flight plan tab. Both would now be identical. If changes were required (upcoming weather, ATC routing change etc) I could continue to fly my cleared route on the Skyview while making the changes on the IFR navigator. If I can accept the clearance I would do so and switch navigation back to the IFR navigator. At this point I would copy the new cleared route back to Skyview so I'm ready if the process requires another iteration plus I have a nice backup of the cleared route. If the IFR navigator were to fail (reboot without retaining the flight plan as mentioned above or just simply fail) I can continue on the cleared route while I inform ATC without missing a turn that might cause a separation issue. This is a fairly serious threat in the crowded airspace of the northeast.
SV allows exporting a SV FP to a memory stick. Will it allow you to export the IFR navigator FP also?

I would try this myself but I can't get my 796 to show up as a second FP tab ..... yet.

TBoone

RV8JD

Page 137 states, "The Flight Plan window contains tabs of available flight plan sources: SKYVIEW and external ARINC GPS navigators capable of providing flight plan data."

Is the 796 ARINC capable?

skysailor

TBoone
Unfortunately I can report that you are only able to export the Skyview flight plan tab contents.