New feature request: Degrees to turn towards waypoint

N941WR

I would like to have an optional display of the degrees to turn, Left or Right, to take me directly to the current waypoint.

Say I am off course, to the left, by five degrees; I would like a display that shows "005 R", which means I need to turn five degrees right to take me to my current waypoint. It should not try to turn me back to the programmed track line, as the auto pilot does. This is an optional display on my unnamed handheld GPS and is really helpful when hand flying the plane.

I can program in the way point in the handheld GPS (Say when doing an approach or in level cruise.) and the number will vary between "002 L", "001 R", "000", "002 R" as I swing ever so slightly across the desired track. The goal being to keep it on "000".

The other thing this feature does is say ATC tells me to turn 20 degrees for traffic avoidance and then releases me to "resume own navigation", rather than trying to take me to my original course line, it will tell me how many degrees to turn to take me directly to my programmed waypoint.

kellym

I love flying!
CDI needle on you HSI will do the same if the source is set to Skyview.
Doesn't matter what the HSI source is. Simply turn the heading knob until the blue heading line meets the magenta line at what ever shallow angle you want or at the destination, or if you want to go through the direct to menu, it will change the magenta line to present position direct destination.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I use the BTW all the time in AP TRK mode. This will take you directly there without having to navigate back to the GPS magenta line for NAV mode.

akarmy

I love flying!
I would second this request. One related one. Make that BTW bearing to waypoint a rubberband line. So as you navigate off course the line is always glued to your next waypoint. It's the perfect combination for VFR hand flying. You are out on a trip, but looking around getting diverted a bit here and there, but you can always line up the line and continue to the next waypoint.

kellym

I love flying!
I would second this request. One related one. Make that BTW bearing to waypoint a rubberband line. So as you navigate off course the line is always glued to your next waypoint. It's the perfect combination for VFR hand flying. You are out on a trip, but looking around getting diverted a bit here and there, but you can always line up the line and continue to the next waypoint.
You can easily do that now. Just select direct to button and if your destination isn't shown, just enter it and activate. Or you can zoom your map out to your destination, turn you heading bug until the blue line is over your destination, then select track mode on your autopilot.

Raymo

I love aviation!
BTW is always adjusting to show the compass direction to that location. All you need to do is turn the heading/track knob to match that number and you'll be heading directly there.