No NAV displayed on HSI/Bearing pointers

lavallejd

I think I have a unique situation but not sure if its wiring or configuration mismatch.
I have an IFD540 married up to my HDX display through an ARINC429 converter box.
The converter box was wired to the diagram recommended for Garmin 430/530.
I have verified that the ARINC setups for both the HDX and the Avidyne are set to the setting recommended for the Garmin 430/530, All speeds on High.
When I tune the IFD to a working VOR (many tried) and verified its reception via the audio panel, all works good. The IFD display shows the VOR, ID, and CDI working good on its display. When I select HSI source as NAV (I labelled that NAV as LOC 540), and select LOC on the 540, the source changes from GPS to LOC but there is no course indication on the HSI and the bearing pointer #1, which is assigned to the 540, does not show. The Source information box is all blank.
Any opinion on this? It will not work for any VOR nor any ILS (tried 3 operational ILS's).

GalinHdz

Sounds like a configuration problem. I would suggest you call DYNON support and have them walk you through it. Even with more information on your particular setup it would probably take lots of back-n-forth posts which can be avoided with a phone call.

:cool:

lavallejd

Success! Called Dynon and was immediately assisted by Don Jones. Avidyne was not properly configured. Under the VOR/GS ARINC429 setup, the format for TX must be set to VHF429. The default setting was VHF/GPS429. Changed the format and now the ARINC429 NaV2 label count began working (was frozen at zero). This confirms that the Dynon and Avidyne LOC are now communicating. Test flew the system and successfully navigated to VORs and shot several ILS approaches. All is really good now!

Last edited:

lavallejd

AB2B87CA-050A-4367-85E4-913FCB73A03B.jpeg

It’s all I’ll ever need

MAD1

I had the same problem and while the format was properly set to VHF429, the RX and TX needed to be changed from "Low" to "High" to fix the problem.

lavallejd

Interesting. The Dynon install manual said to set both to Hi, which I confirmed. Interesting that Avidyne added the format parameter without inserting that info in their install manual.