Noticing some odd things - Should I be worried?

n456ts

Do not write below this line
I've got two of the 7" Skyviews. I've got some odd issues with primary screen. The secondary/co-pilot display has never exhibited any issues.

1. Sometimes when I boot the primary unit, 1/4" thick purple lines appear across half of the screen horizontally. They slowly move positions until the console display comes up. They disappear at that point. Shortly after, everything is started up. It's unclear when it feels like doing this. From my perspective, it's random.

2. Sometimes, this screen won't boot when ship power is supplied. It requires a cycling of the switch and it will boot up. Other items on this same circuit work as expected.

3. Anytime it's running off the backup battery, there is a noticeable whine. I don't have great hearing and I can hear is quite well in the hanger. I don't know if it's from the display or the battery unit itself. But it's clearly there and knowing the battery chemistry, my paranoia has peaked a bit. As soon as the display is shutdown, the whine stops.

My MAC address isn't in the range for the update.

Should I be concerned?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
#1 is hard to comment on without seeing a video. Could you send one to support at dynonavionics dot com? During the times that the display is getting turned off and on while it boots, you can sometimes see artifacts, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong.

#2 isn't normal behavior. Does unplugging the backup battery change anything? Also, what version of software are you on? We changed a few things with power handling a couple of times in the v10+ timeframe, so upgrading to the latest might improve the behavior here. If upgrading doesn't fix it, we'll want to see your display here.

The noise you're hearing is from the display itself, not the battery. It's not abnormal, though it can vary from unit to unit.

n456ts

Do not write below this line
This has been occurring across several versions. I'm currently on the latest.

I can send some video.  I don't know how to recreate issues 1 & 2, so it might be sometime before it happens and I'm able to get my phone out in time. 

I can try unplugging the battery next time it happens. 

The noise was my biggest concern.  So, it being normal makes me happy. 

I'll follow up on the rest as I'm able to capture it in action. 

Terke

I love flying GP4!
Hello gentlemen;

Hopefully this thread isn't dead.

We have been having the same behaviour on the primary 10" display. We have dual displays, dual ADAHRS, dual batteries, dual GPS. Here is a picture of the screen while starting. The purple line starts out full width and only one or two pixels tall and grows to this size before it flashes to the echo page while booting. We have the same whine from the left display as well. Thus far we had the primary screen crash one time during boot up and give an error message to start again or call Dynon support.
The second screen, which also has a much lower serial number, is quiet as it boots up, doesn't show any of the colour artifacts while booting and is generally faster to come on-line.

Let me know if you need things filmed during boot up.

Best regards

Attachments

• IMG_4174.PNG
    IMG_4174.PNG
    879 KB · Views: 143

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi Terke - Probably best to give our support team a call at 425-402-0433 or an email at support at dynonavionics dot com.