OAT Temp probe adjustment

JUSTNUZZA

I love flying!
Where do I look in the setup menu so that I can adjust the outside temperature probe ?

RV8JD

See page 5-18 of the Installation guide.

Adjusting OAT Offset

SkyView provides the ability to adjust the displayed OAT +/- 20F (11.1C). This adjustment is applied across the OAT’s entire temperature range. This adjustment can be made under SETUP MENU >HARDWARE CALIBRATION > ADAHRS CALIBRATION > OAT OFFSET.

(I know it's hard to look this stuff up ... NOT!)

JUSTNUZZA

I love flying!
See page 5-18 of the Installation guide.

Adjusting OAT Offset

SkyView provides the ability to adjust the displayed OAT +/- 20F (11.1C). This adjustment is applied across the OAT’s entire temperature range. This adjustment can be made under SETUP MENU >HARDWARE CALIBRATION > ADAHRS CALIBRATION > OAT OFFSET.

(I know it's hard to look this stuff up ... NOT!)

Thanks, I suppose if I had the installation guide it would be easy to look up !

skysailor

The installation manuals are available on the Dynon site. They are in PDF format and are updated as the systems change and include a list of changes per version. I keep a current copy on the computer at home as well as the iPad used in the plane. There is a lot of very good information on every component of the Dynon system. There is no charge for the manual.

swatson999

Main Menu on Dynon Site->Dynon products->Support->Documentation

I wonder if a lot of posters here who haven't read the installation manual are flying planes with the Dynon *certified* components, as I looked and it doesn't seem that the installation and user manuals are readily available *from that page*?

DBRV10

While you are adjusting it, it is not often you need to do that.

Probe placement is usually the biggest cause for error. Where is your probe mounted and on what kind of plane?

JUSTNUZZA

I love flying!
While you are adjusting it, it is not often you need to do that.

Probe placement is usually the biggest cause for error. Where is your probe mounted and on what kind of plane?
I just want to make sure it calibrated correctly, I am going to check it with an alternate temperature sensor. The sensor is mounted on the side of the fuselage on an RV3B.

DBRV10

Is it exposed to sunlight?

It is best placed under the ingot near the pitot tube or somewhere like that. Never near the fuse under the plane where exhaust gas gets it, and never under a fairing that gets hot.

JUSTNUZZA

I love flying!
Is it exposed to sunlight?

It is best placed under the ingot near the pitot tube or somewhere like that. Never near the fuse under the plane where exhaust gas gets it, and never under a fairing that gets hot.
Tucked under the cowl cheek I guess it was install ed so wiring does not need to be extended.
aviary-image-1579598058233.jpeg

skysailor

That location will not read correctly. Air spills out of the intake, some can leak through the cowl seam and ideally the other side of the temp sender would also be at ambient temperature. Yours is right where your cabin heat is greatest when used. The installation manual says the wires can be extended with regular wire. I ran mine out to the aileron inspection bellcrank area. Out of the sun and all air inside and out of the wing is ambient there. It has been completely reliable.

JUSTNUZZA

I love flying!

That location will not read correctly. Air spills out of the intake, some can leak through the cowl seam and ideally the other side of the temp sender would also be at ambient temperature. Yours is right where your cabin heat is greatest when used. The installation manual says the wires can be extended with regular wire. I ran mine out to the aileron inspection bellcrank area. Out of the sun and all air inside and out of the wing is ambient there. It has been completely reliable.
Thanks, I will run some tests with an electronic fridge thermometer and tape the probe under the wing. I will compare results before I commit to moving the Dynon probe.