OAT

paulgy80

Hi All

Have got a D100 and D10 with OAT probe hooked up, the D100 reckognises the probe is there but the info is detail on the screen it is eading -33c when the ambient is 17c. When I go to adjust the temp manually (calibrate) I get the 2 digit box but hitting the increase button the box only goes up to +10 miles short of the difference needed.

Anybody got any ideas??

Paul

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It should never be off that far, which is why we don't let you adjust it more than 10 degrees.

Two checks:
What "type" do you have the sensor set to?
Does it change temperature when you heat or cool it? Does it move the right way?

If I remember right, -33 is the temp we'd read if you didn't have a good ground on the sensor, but I'd have to check the table tomorrow to be 100% sure.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also, if you have the probe connected to the EFIS-D100, make sure that the EMS-D10 does not have any of it GP inputs set to OAT. If it does, disable it, and then do a DSAB reconfiguration if it doesn't instantly fix itself.

poteroo

I have a D-180 and need confirmation of how to change the instrument OAT reading to match my standard thermometer. ( Have read page 7-8 and it doesn't work for me)

When I change the value in the highlighted box, what is then needed to make the instrument change it's temp reading???

thanks,
Ralph

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Are you looking at "OAT" on the EMS side (black background) or the EFIS side (horizon background)?

The OAT can only be manually adjusted on the EFIS side. If you don't have a real OAT probe plugged in, you should not have it displayed on the EMS side.

poteroo

The unit that I have is #1552, and it's invoice #8689 of 6/19/2007 - so that means it's probably a '2' ?? Can't see a black band on it though.

Yes, it is located on the LHS side of the EFIS split, and is accessed via the EFIS menu.

I'll try it on setting 2 when I check the RV-9A this morning. (it's 6:30 AM here in Albany, which is on the SW corner of Western Australia),and advise.

thanks,

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our order records show you have the EMS OAT. That means that your OAT is hooked up to an EMS GP input, and not to the EFIS. So, make sure you have the right GP input set to "OAT" in the EMS>SENSORS setup. In the EFIS>SETUP>OAT menu, make sure you're set to "N" for none. That should solve it.

poteroo

Have checked the EMS settings and the OAT is in GP 1 as you said. I have gone to the EFIS side and changed the OAT settings there to 'N'.

There's no difference.

The current OAT indicated by my thermometer is 14c and the Dynon OAT shows 14c as well.....so no diffs there. But, the DA on the D180 shows -460 ft, yet our location is +230 ft. By my calcs, we should be seeing +100ft as the DA. (SL is 15c, so 1c lower should mean -130ft in DA??? is this correct?)

thanks,

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're pretty sure that the Dynon DA calculation is correct. Remember that DA is based on pressure altitude. Run your numbers through a E6B or online calculator, using pressure altitude, not indicated altitude, as required. This means you need to need to set your EFIS to 29.92 to get the number you're supposed to use in your calculator.

brothwood

I'm just installing my D180, and find that the lead from the OAT sensor has only two wires, Red & Green plus screen. Am I O.K. to ignore the blue wire (which isn't there anyway) and just connect the screen to the white lead and then pin 1?
Also, can I reduce the length of the lead from the OAT sensor prior to connection as I have a lot of cable hanging about?
Regards, George

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The two wire OAT MUST be hooked directly to the D180, to one of the GP inputs on the EMS connector. We sell two OAT's, one that is a two wire and can only be used on the EMS, and one that is three wires and can be used on an EMS or a remote compass.

The OAT that comes with engine kits is two wires and has to go to the EMS.

It is fine to shorten the wire if required.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also - note that our 3 wire OAT sensor has red, blue, yellow wires, and the 3 wire OAT has two black/white striped wires. So it doesn't sound like that's one of our OATs. The only other OAT that we work with, besides our own, is GRT's.

brothwood

Please ignore my post above(finger trouble!) and look under new OAT installation where I correct my OAT type and show resistances of the THREE wires and screen - still no OAT indication- please help.
Regards, George