Panel planning

rickw

Ok...be kind...apparently i am a little slow. I have read all sorts of stuff, flown in a few dynon equiped planes and need to wrap my head around what to plan for/order. Simple day night vfr, some nice cross country trips would be good.

My panel will have the new skyview large panel on pilot side, and a duplicate small 7" on the other. I want to use split screens on both sides with ems and efis, gps just on pilot side.I want all the sensors for my io320, I want full AP and AoA. I have installed the dynon unheated pitot with AOA, and installed the oat probe. I know of course i need the engine sensors, the fuel flow trans, smart buss etc. How do i figure out what all i need and what the second smaller screen needs to be if i wish to split the info so copilot can access it all less gps? Waiting in line at dynon many times at osh...no love...lines long...and most questions were dumber then mine.
Help appreciated so i can start considering the $$. Yes i know skyview isnt priced yet, but all the other stuff is ..and knowing models etc would help.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
First off, sorry that we weren't able to get to you at OSH.

The simple answer here is that your second screen will need to be a SkyView 7" as well. You cannot share data between a SkyView system and a current generation product. When you have two SkyView screens in the plane, they are both able to display whatever you want, including the GPS, at no additional cost except for the screen price.

If you really want to run the second screen as a current system, the biggest issue you will have is the engine monitor. You cannot run two EMS units in a plane unless you also install two sets of sensors. So you can purchase a D100 or a D10A as your second screen, but all it will display is the PFD.

f14rio

Thinking along these same lines as RickW.... I am thinking of putting a larg skyview on the pilots side with a D6 on the right side (for redundancy purposes). This would simply be enough to get me back on the ground safely in case of a failure of the main unit. Not really concerned with EMS functions hence the D6.

So would this scenario be possible or even recommended?

rickw

Yes...that is basically what i want to do too. A nice large new generation on one side...and a cheaper old generation 7" on the copilot side. The new will drive ap give me all the toys, if it goes t/up, i have basics on the other side and a buddy can still fly easily right seat with all the basics infront of him. Also...trying to wrap my head around the smart buss, cabels, etc and how that all ties together and gets wired...ugghhhhhhh Good with metal/glass work, back with electrons.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Nothing wrong with that configuration. It does get you redundancy in your flight instruments, but of course the second screen is limited, as the SkyView won't talk to the D6 at all. They would effectively be two independent systems. The "all SkyView" version of this would be two screens (either size, mix and match), two ADAHRS modules, and an EMS module.