Pocket FMS

meljordan

Just saw the press release on your web site about the availability of Pocket FMS data for the SkyView maps. This should greatly enhance the capability for non-US users. Congratulations for achieving this major step forward.

Mel

trevpond

Hi Guys,

I have just downloaded the Obstacle and the Aviation data and will be putting it on my Skyview in the next couple of days.

I'll let you know what I think of it but in the meantime, will it work with the Obstacle and Navdata databases we already have, or will it be necessary to remove the existing databases before installing the Pocket FMS databases?

regards

Trev :D

lalnaes

I already have the Jeppesen European Navdata installed. Does PocketFMS offer any additional features that I would benefit from if I switched? Does the PocketFMS airspace look the same at Jeppesen´s (line colors etc.)? Perhaps Dynon could provide some sample screen shots and additional information about the new offering.

phvdw

actual also jepessen installed, missing small airfields, private and ultralight fields, are these marked in pocketfms?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The main goal of adding PocketFMS support is that it has more GA focused data, such as smaller airports and visual reporting points. Plus, the company is very dynamic and if you want something added you can talk to them and get it added if they can verify the data. In our comparison, PocketFMS has many, many more small airports than Jeppesen does. The data is also priced much lower.

The best way to see what is available in your area is to go get the trial version of the PocketFMS PC application. We could post a few screenshots, but those would only be valid for the few areas we chose. If you get the trial, you can see what is in your exact area. We're happy to post some screenshots too if you give us specific places you'd like to see, or we can tell you if specific airports exist in the database.

The data won't show up any different than it does in Dynon's free USA data or Jeppesen's data. Airspaces and airports are shown exactly the same way.

You can only have one aviation and one obstacle database installed. If you install PocketFMS, it will overwrite the Jeppesen data you currently have. If you still have the Jeppesen USB stick, you can re-load that data.

ibisaero

Hello!

I have a dual Skyview pannel.I allready purchased the MAP certificate and activate it so now I wanted to buy the Nav data from jeppesen but I saw this Pocket FMS data for Skyview. If I buy this 119 €, 1 year subscription you mean is all I need for having Nav data in my Skyview? :eek:

CBarber

Pardon my ignorance, but is this new 3rd party vendor to replace the US data or is it more focused on areas outside the US. Am I to assume that it will enhance the current information on the Skyview for us US guys...well and us Texans ;)? Is this a precurser to the Feds no longer making mapping info free. If so, sounds like a good start at a managable price.

Is it that this allows a more richly developed resource to get to your customers sooner and allow y'all to more fully develop other features by having the 3rd party do some of the "grunt work" since there is no reason to reinvent the wheel?

Thanks for helping me become more well informed.

Chris

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
IbisAero: Yes, PocketFMS is an alternative to the Jeppesen data. Jeppesen doesn't have great coverage of private and smaller airports, and this is aimed to help with that.

Chris: Within the US, you still want to use our free data. It's more robust in the US than the PocketFMS data, with items like airport AFD remarks. The FAA is currently planning on charging for the digital versions of sectionals/plates/charts - essentially the scaned pictures of the things you can buy on paper. The "digital" data like you can download from our site isn't part of this fee structure (at least not yet). We are planning on having chargs/plates/other data like the government is going to start charging for, but this new fee structure may affect when we add such support (ie, we may wait to see how the whole thing shakes out before we decide how to attack the issue)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
IbisAero:

You still need the Mapping certificate from Dynon to use the map at all. PocketFMS is an alternative to Jeppesen, but not to our map product.

Ham_Goulding

Thank you Dynon for offering the Pocket FMS option; it sounds like it will solve most of the problems for European GA users. Question: if I install PocketFMS where will my terrain and obstacle data come from?

RICHAWK

Hi,
I have just downloaded and installed the European Pocket FMS data sets. I am extremely dissapointed in the result.
1. There is no increase in Topo data.
2. The VRPs have the most illogical abreviations.
3. Within twenty miles of my home base EGMC there are two incorrect locations shown for EGST. How can errors like this be published ? Surely the most basic verification process would pick up duplicate entries. Looks like I have just wasted 119 euros. It certainly is not the 'high quality' data pronounced in your press release.
More work urgently needed on this Dynon !

Richard

Richard    

Attachments

• screenshot-20111216-162652-751.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 122

Ham_Goulding

Hi Richard, I am disappointed to hear this. I have just purchased but not yet installed. I have just been lookIng at the PocketFMS website. It says that they respond quickly to reports of errors. You can contact an area manager direct and they claim they will react quickly. Give it a try and test them out. I hope they can sort it out. We badly needed better data for Europe. Best of luck. Regards, Ham

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Terrain ALWAYS comes from Dynon. We have the highest resolution data of any EFIS in the world for all areas of the world. Increasing this is basically impossible as you are talking about gigabytes of data as it is.

If you mean Basemap data (roads, rivers, cities), then that data never comes from your aviation data provider. Dynon is working on that, but we need to find sources of that around the world. No users in the world currently get roads/rivers/cities, not in the USA from Dynon, not from Jepppesen, nor from PocketFMS.

Obstacles come from the same place your get airports/airspaces. Dynon, Jeppesen, or PocketFMS, depending on who you are buying from.

The VRP's have two names, a IDENT which can only be 8 characters, and a longer full name. We only show the short name on the map so it doesn't clutter too much. Press NRST and select VRP's and you'll likely find easier to understand names since we have the full names in there. You can also search by full name.

Any database errors (like the dual EGST) should be reported to PocketFMS immediately. We'll contact them too, but they are the ones that create and sell the database so we can't make changes to it ourselves. If you have suggestions for better VRP names, you should also suggest this to them.

Ham_Goulding

Thanks for that. As far as Basemap data is concerned there may be some confusion because the PocketFMS website refers to mapping of rivers, towns, lakes and other topographical details but this probably relates to their standard flight planning system and not to the aviation-only package that they are providing to Dynon. When it comes to VRP's Garmin have some pretty odd abbreviations as well so I wouldn't worry much about that. Clearly the wrong airfield coordinates needs to be fixed. I will install Pocket FMS tomorrow and see how it looks for Ireland. Regards. Ham

trevpond

Hi,

Just been on the pocket FMS site and under Aerodata shows the following;

"AeroData. The aviation boundaries and objects which can't necessarily be seen, but which are critical to VFR navigation. Included are controlled airspace boundaries, Special Use Airspace (Prohibited, Restricted, Danger, Military), airports, runways, comm frequencies, NavAids, IFR waypoints, VFR reporting points, minimum safe altitude, names of major (and many not so major) cities and towns - in developed countries, all continuously maintained to be current with AIP. In selected areas, other special uses are defined, such as VFR transit lanes, fly-neighbourly & broadcast zones, and sports aviation activity"

Didn't see any towns shown on the screenshot above!

Trev :(

RICHAWK

Trevor,

I certainly was confused after visiting the Pocket FMS website. Expected to get roads etc. thus the dissapointment.
I think the towns will show up. That screenshot was obtained in the hangar and the gps height is incorrect thus everything is red. Looks as though the real improvement will have to wait until Dynon get their basemap data ungraded.

Richard

Ham_Goulding

Hi Trevor, See the response from Dynon Support yesterday at 9.56 which says:

If you mean Basemap data (roads, rivers, cities), then that data never comes from your aviation data provider.

As I said in my last, geographical data is not provided by Pocket FMS in this package - the bit you took from their website seems to refer to their normal flight planning software. We are only buying Aviation Data for the Dynon. I still can't download my data from them because their website won't let me reach the log-in page. Have just complained to them. Good Luck! Rgds, Ham

trevpond

Hi Richard and Ham,

Seems to me then that all we get from Pocket FMS additional to Jeppesen is VRP's - oh, nearly forgot, it's cheaper!

regards :-/

Trev

RICHAWK

Trev,
Thats correct I looked at the pocket FMS site and wrongly assummed we were about to get a better base map. I think the towns are not visible on my screen shot because the aircraft was in the hangar and the gps could not get the correct altitude and painted everything red? Looks like the improvement we really need is yet to come.

Richard

DJ2BA

Good evening ;)

In preparation to install a new Panel into my WT01
i build it up on my workbench to get familiar
with a single SV D700.
The GPS is looking into the cold and grey Sky and ervery Thing works fine.
Yesterday i purchased from Pocketfms the Europe Charts
in use with the Dynon 30 Hours Map Trial Mode.

And now i have a little problem and i dont know if it is the SV or the Pocketfms Datasource:
When i try to get Airfield-Infos for EDWQ, i use the "FIND" Function. Dialing in EDWQ, the Entry "ATALAS AIRFIELD ..." is shown.
Next i use the INFO Button, the Option "AIRPORT" is ok, toggling right to "COMMS", the Informations are ok. But when i try the next toggling right Step to "RUNWAY", my SV makes an Restart  :(
Where should I start to clear this phenomenon?

My Setup: SV-D700 / SV-ADAHRS-200 / SV-EMS-220 / SV-XPNDR-262 / SV-GPS-250

Regards
Willi

p.s. English is not really my first language ...