Position Source 1 fail -Diagnosing the problem / how to use different GPS source in the interim

Rocky_W

Hello

I couple of weeks ago I got a caution: Position Source 1 Fail. The caution then disappeared and only reared it's ugly head again this weekend. However now it doesn't go away anymore and I keep losing GPS connection, but it is still intermittent.

This is not a new install. The system is from 2011. I am curious to know:
  1. How likely is it that the fault sits within the sealed unit? (e.g. I need to replace the unit.)
  2. Apart from physically checking the D-Sub connection / wires for damage, how would I best diagnose the problem?
  3. I do have a Garmin 696 connected to the Skyview. Can I use the GPS signal from the 696 instead of the signal coming from the SV-GPS-250 and how would I set the system to use that?
Thanks

Roger

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
1. Hard to say... They're pretty reliable, but it's not impossible for them to fail (as with any electronics)
2. Checking for physical connectivity is a good first step, but you might pair that up by wiggling wires while you're looking in the serial port menu, where you can see when the data flow is coming in or not from moment to moment. The RX counter (raw data coming ing) and Good Sentences (well-formatte data) are the two lines to pay attention to.
3. Yes. Connect to a serial port (sounds like it's already connected?), make sure the role is set to GPS X of your choosing, and also mak sure that you have the data rate set to "normal" under the 696's advanced NMEA setup menu.