Problems with VOR dispay on HSI page using HS34

cessnaah

I have a 10A and 10. They are connected to my Garmin 430 via my HS34. The GPS works o.k. and displays both on the HSI and PFD pages. The localizer works so-so (the course line does not seem to move much until I just about intercept the localizer.) The most serious problem is with the VOR from the 430.

When I toggle via the HS34 to the nav mode I cannot get the Nav screen nav [ch9674] to show anything. If I push NAV source the green word “NAV” lights up momentarily but then goes out. I do not have a second nav to fill in the SBY circle.

The HSI arrow cannot be utilized to show the course to or from the VOR. I turn the HG34 course knob a full 360° and the segment remains out of the arrow line and does not cross through it. As I fly, occasionally the broken center segment flips from top to bottom but never displays radial passage.

I have confirmed I am receiving the VOR as I get the audio form it.

Any ideas?

meljordan

Re: Problems with VOR dispay on HSI page using HS3

I had a very similar problem when I got my 430 back from a repair. The problem sounded exactly like yours. It turned out that one of the NAV ARINC pins in the connector on the 430 tray had gotten pushed in slightly and was not making good contact with the 430. Check your wiring between the 430 and the HS34, looking closely that the pins are all fully engaged. It may be something else, but that caused very similar problems for me.

Good Luck,
Mel Jordan

N747PW

I too have this exact problem. My Dynon HSI is replacing a Sandel SN3308 which was working perfectly. I have also checked the wiring and all appears in order. Was the original poster's problem due to a wiring issue? any help gratefully received.

Pat

cessnaah

I have spoken to Dynon at length and have solved all issues except one (the green segment remains out of the arrow line and does not cross through it. As I fly, occasionally the broken center segment flips from top to bottom but never displays radial passage.)

The problem with this stems from 430 settings. I have the outputs set to interface with my TruTrack autopilot. Dynon wants the settings to be exactly the opposite. Dynon told me its next software revision will address this issue.

N747PW

What are the settings that Dynon would like? I don't have trutrack so perhaps I can satisfy the setting requirements, only if I know what they are! If you have them please send them along.

Thanks

Pat

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

See http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/Garmin_430/530_Wiring

Note that the HS34 can also support an ARINC-429 data rate/speed of "LOW" if your avionics setup includes other devices which require it be set that way.

cessnaah

I have mine set on low but have the problem with the HSI mentioned in my earlier posting.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

We're wondering if the "low" setting might have something to do with it. Could you try setting the HSI and 430 to "high" for a flight and see that changes the behavior?

cessnaah

I did that and the HSI seem so.k., but I lose my TruTrack autopilot as it needs low.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

We'll be looking into this further and see what we can figure out.

N747PW

I have set all the communications to "high" and followed the settings in the wiki but still have the problem. The problem being that the vor frequency is displayed normally on the HSI page (indicating the communications does exist between the HS43 and the Garmin) but the D bar is fully deflected regardless of where the pointer is set. It seems to randomly deflect to the left or the right. Also the nav source change button doesn't function cleanly, ie I need to hold it down for a long (~2 secs), sometimes, or push it multiple times, sometimes, or just push it normally, sometimes, to get the source to change.

Help!!

thanks for the very timely responses.

Pat

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

So when you have a valid VOR tuned, there should be a bearing pointer on the screen that points right at the station. What happens when you line up the course with that bearing pointer? (the CDI should center).

If you're seeing some other behavior, can you send a digital picture of what you're seeing to support@dynonavionics.com so we can help you figure out what's going on? (reference this post too)

N747PW

I have not been able to set the bearing pointers to NAV, they are both set to GPS. With a valid VOR tuned in (identified using the NAV audio) I have been unable to center the D Bar. This installation replaces a Sandel which used to work correctly. I will give it another try this weekend, take photos and write up my findings.

Thanks

Pat

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Press "BRG SRC" then use the value knob to change the bearing pointers. If you can't get NAV pointers, that tells us something as well, since these work great for everyone we know of.

N747PW

All now works. I found a setting in the Garmin that was not what you recommended. Corrected that now everything works. I really thought I checked everything (about ten times). The bearing pointer now can be set to NAV and the D bar centers when pointing to the VOR. I a happy camper albeit a pain in the ... neck, yeah that's it ... neck.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Pat

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Do you remember what the setting was? We're always interested in keeping our documentation up to date when we get new information.

N747PW

It was the SDI setting on the VOR/LOC/GS ARINC 429 CONFIG page. I had it set to VOR/ILS1 instead of of COMMON.

This is a really embarrassing admission.

Thanks once again.

Pat

cessnaah

I've got mine set to Common on that page but still cannot get the green arrow to work. It remains segmented.

cessnaah

Per your request, I sent images showing the problem with the Course Indicator when displaying VOR input to Dynon Support. I would post one of them here but do not know how to do so.

N747PW

Latest update. I thought everything was working, but it turned out to very intermittent. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, about 20% of thime it worked and 80% it didn't. Just before ripping the wiring out of the panel I decided to set all the data rates between the HS34 and GNS430 to LOW. All has worked perfectly, at least for the past 6 or so flights. I am now happy.

Pat