Question arinc-429 wiring

jcarne

This may be a silly question but here it goes. I wired the arinc-429 for a Garmin 430 connection per figure 153 in the manual. I was double checking before installation and noticed that on the pinout pin 20 is a ground. This is not shown on figure 153. Do I need a ground on pin 20? Thanks!

2.JPG
1.JPG

jnmeade

Table 120 - SV-ARINC-429 D25F Connector, page 23-15 manual revision AF shows one.
For my own part, I am not personally knowledgeable.

jcarne

Ray as much as I don't want to admit it I think your right. Looks like I have a beautifully done connector that needs taken apart...

jcarne

I went ahead and installed the ground for anyone searching this in the future. Thanks for your help everyone!

Raymo

I love aviation!
I'm not sure about the ARINC signals but the RS232 needs a good reference ground to work properly. Probably more important in a composite plane.

jcarne

It probably didn't achieve anything per your post above where you say it works fine without it. However, if for some reason it didn't, it achieved me not having to lay under my panel in an uncomfortable position, bloody hands from reaching up to get into the connector and more bloody hands to fish the wire through all my grommets/nutplates to get it to the grounding block. The top skin is still off right now but not for long. What you can't see in the picture is all the goodies down below the arinc that my hands would have to get past.

(if anyone is wondering the big coil of wires on the left is for a future HDX if needed)

20200511_153744.jpg