Question on AOT sensors with dual ADAHRS

Janekom

I love flying!
I have a few questions please. RV10 with dual Skyview and dual ADAHRS.

Will an OAT sensor installed inside a naca duct feeding the overhead ventilation, be accurate?
Secondly how will paint influence the accuracy of the OAT sensor?

Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The OAT should remain unpainted.

It's hard to comment on a specific ducting, but the OAT really doesn't want to be anywhere near the engine, seeing sun, or in any other place where it might be heated.

Rhino

Not really a good idea. NACA ducts typically compress air, which affects temperature (raises it). How much depends on the duct type, airspeed, the location of the duct and the location of the sensor. Since the temperature can change with airflow, you'll likely see different temps when you open or close the ventilation too. The variations might be small, but then again, they might not. Generally it's a chance you wouldn't want to take if you can avoid it. Most people with RVs I've seen mount them to an underwing inspection panel, which makes them readily accessible. If connecting in the rear of the aircraft, some also use the bottom of the horizontal stab. This topic comes up fairly regularly in the Vans forums, and it's always cited as a bad idea.

Janekom

I love flying!
Thank you for the replies. I have looked at my logged flights using Savvy and saw that the OAT always goes to about zero degrees, or it tends to show more or less the right temperature. I am leaning toward a loose connection now.