Remote and/or multiple displays for D-10A?

2wings_com

Hello,

I think you guys have a great product, but its not in a form I can use....yet.

I'm building a Pitts 12 biplane, which gets flown from the back pit. I'd love to have your D-10A in there as a less exciting alternative to spinning down through cloud if stuck on top. However, the instrument panel only has about 5.5 - 6 inches of depth behind it before it starts to hit the passenger in the back of the neck. See http://www.2wings.com/m12/images/n360kc/P4139010.jpg for an idea of what the layout is.

In my perfect world you guys would seperate the D-10A from its screen and also allow the remote mounted box to drive two shallow depth displays for my tandem cockpit.  Something like a D-10A without a screen hooked up to two shortened EMS-D10's. Since you mention that you are working on "inter-display capability" I hope something like this will happen. If not, how about custom modifications, do you guys do one offs or is it possible to modify one myself?

To help bolster my request, I also assume this would be a nice setup for anyone flying in the back of an RV-8, RV-4 or any other tandem plane with close spacing between seats.

Thanks in advance,

Darin Bishop
www.2wings.com

Mel

I will also add my vote to this idea as I am building a bi-blane that only has 2" behing the rear instrument panel. I've been flying behind one of the earliest D-10s in my RV-6 and love it, but it won't fit in the bi-plane.
Mel...DAR

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Our inter-display capability will allow our different avionics devices to communicate with each other and display each other's data, though we do not currently have plans for a decoupled display device.

Note that our new D100 series of avionics (7" diagonal screen) are only about 4.5 inches deep. This line may serve your physical constraints better, though they may be a bit big for your panel.

We are unable to create one offs or custom jobs. Our avionics are also not designed to be opened or modified by the end user.

khorton

Me too ...

I'd be interested in a thin display that can be driven by a D-10A, at the right price.  I've got an RV-8, and it would be nice to provide a D-10A EFIS display for the back seater.

aceflyingservice

ME TOO!!!! The rear passenger in my Long EZ would love to have a screen to look at.

Roger Johnson
Long EZ
N34JR

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I too would like to see a small display only and a 7" display only unit that would simply connect to other units vis the DSAB buss. This way I could have a D100 and a D120 on the pilot side and a 7: display only on the passenger side.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We probably won't be able to make a display unit that costs much less than an EMS-D120 or EMS-D10. The extra hardware in an EMS unit isn't the real expense. The screen, power supply, and processor cost the most, and you'd need these in a display only unit.

The cheapest way to go is probaby this:
EFIS-D100 pilot
EMS-D120 pilot
EFIS-D100 co-pilot

This will give you totally redundant EFIS units that will work even if your master power fails. The EFIS on the co-pilot side can be configured to display anything in the airplane over the DSAB bus, so your co-pilot can see EMS data as well.

This setup carries about a $400 premium over what we could probably sell you just a display for (D100/D120/display), but you get a fully redundant EFIS for that $400.

Bob_Ellis

Surely it shoud be simple to produce a composite video signal from the bus output on one of the pins? This could then be connected to the rear seat video screen using a cheap automobile passeger display suitably secured - into a head rest or the back of the front seat? I am looking to build an RV8A so I hope by the time I come to put in the avionics, 2011 ish, that such a facility exists to add to the experience for the rear seater.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The difference between any of our data bus outputs and a video composite signal is huge. In airplane terms, it's like converting your piston-powered aircraft to a turbine: it can theoretically be done, but it's not as simple as dropping in a few new parts as it may seem on the surface. Significant engineering would have to be done, and the costs wouldn't be trivial.

But if you're up for building such an interface, we do publish our serial data stream format for your use.

Bob_Ellis

Sorry I thought it would be relatively straightforward. However, "But if you're up for building such an interface, we do publish our serial data stream format for your use", sounds like a business opportunity for someone as there are a lot of tandem aircraft out there, and in the future, using Dynon products.

C

Charlie(Guest)

I'm in the process of building an onboard computer with an LCD display for my aircraft.  Do you have software that would allow me to display your EFIS data in the same (more or less) format as your display.  Obviously the computer and the D-10A will be connected via a serial cable.  Thanks.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Charlie,

We don't make any software that can do this, but if you consume the serial stream that the EFIS-D10A outputs, it would be possible to build such an application.

C

Charlie(Guest)

That is my plan, but I was looking for something already built for the ADI and HSI type display. Do you know of any software out there?