Remote Compass Not Detected

BrianJ

After installing the new software in my D100 my remote compass no longer works.  It will work now and then for a second.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Brian,
The EDC needs to be connected to the EFIS when you do the software update. What you describe is what happens when the EFIS software changed but the EDC didn't. Please re-upload the software to your EFIS with the EDC connected and let us know if this helps. Before you do the update, do a "detect software version" and make sure it reports back software versions for the EFIS and EDC.

You don't need to go back to the old software first- you can just re-upload the latest stuff with the EDC connected.

velocidave

I, too, ran across this same problem recently and upgraded the firmware with the compass connected and now everything works great. Thanks to Dynon's tech. support line!

Now that I'm getting ready to install the remote compass, where is the best place to find a digital level that reads out in tenths of a degree? I want to get the remote compass aligned as precisely as possible with the D-180. Do you think a tool rental shop would typically carry one?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Sears sells one, but it's $200. I have to imagine that Lowes or Home Depot has them hidden somewhere as well. A quick search for both "electronic level" and "digital level" on www.amazon.com reveals a bunch at the $100-$150 price point.

Couldn't tell you about rental though.

meljordan

You may want to just ask at your next EAA chapter meeting. It is a pretty common tool and I bet you can find one to borrow. It is commonly used to set angle of incidence as well as control surface throws. If you are in Tucson you can borrow mine.

Regards,
Mel Jordan