remote NAV radio for SkyView HDX

RV14_TD

I'm looking for any pirpes of remote mounted NAV radios compatible with SkyView. VAL NAV2KR comes to mind, but the manufacturer's website states that integration with Dynon is "limited" and frequencies can only be selected from SkyView database. Is that correct? And what is the general reliability of NAV2KR? I've heard mixed opinions.
Is anybody using MGL Avionics N16 radio? Is a dedicated head required to operate it?

rocclobster

I have a N16 installed in my aircraft as a backup. I only bought it because it was the least costly way for me to satisfy Transport Canada’s requirement for a second independent nav source. They won’t accept Dynon GPS as an IFR backup. I’ve found that it’s actually a really great radio. It is physically very small and weighs only ounces. It will lock onto a signal father out than my GTN650xi and they’re connected to the same archer nav antenna. In anything but a MGL efis a control head is required for tuning and to allow Dynon or AFS to connect using the SL-30 protocol. I installed a Vega control head but the Razor is better if you actually plan to use it for real navigation.
I think you’re correct regarding tuning a Val nav2kr.

PYoder

I also wanted to install a VAL 2kr - but was advised by Dynon that the HDX does send frequencies to the VAL BUT ONLY to the standby position - and there is no way to flip/flop. (A simple syntax change is all that is necessary to send it to the active position - but it’s way down the priority list at the moment) SO ..... I had to order a Nav2000 to provide the flip/flop function.

RV14_TD

From what I understand MGL N16 supports up to 2 simultaneous channels, effectively making it a two nav receivers solution in one box. How does the HDX treat the two channels? Does it display the second channel at all?

alan_hunter1664

I love flying!
I also wanted to install a VAL 2kr - but was advised by Dynon that the HDX does send frequencies to the VAL BUT ONLY to the standby position - and there is no way to flip/flop. (A simple syntax change is all that is necessary to send it to the active position - but it’s way down the priority list at the moment) SO ..... I had to order a Nav2000 to provide the flip/flop function.
Hi, i've just bought the Nav 2KR as I was led to believe by other posts this was not an issue and it was only the volume that was a problem. Can you confirm the 2kr will not work with the HDX? if so i will need to cancel my order.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I think PYoder's post is right. Currently, that limits the capability, and so the Nav 2KR isn't currently compatible. We've noted this behavior one to possibly fix/improve and may have a fix for it in the future, but that's not a promise at this point.

tdavis1198

I think PYoder's post is right. Currently, that limits the capability, and so the Nav 2KR isn't currently compatible. We've noted this behavior one to possibly fix/improve and may have a fix for it in the future, but that's not a promise at this point.
I have the skyview classic with a gtn750 as the primary navigator. I want to add a nav radio for the same reason as the other Canadian ifr pilots. What does Dynon recommend to do this in the easiest manner?

Carl_Froehlich

Or - Dynon produce their own NAV/COMM!! This would make a nice marraige for a TSO GPS/Comm like the Garmin GNC 355 to complete an IFR panel.

RV14_TD

There is another thread on this subject here
MGL N16 is a sensible solution and it integrates nicely with SV over Garmin protocol. While not a "remote" radio as it needs a Vega head to function properly I can honestly recommend it. It's cheap and it does what it's supposed to do.
Of course I would love Dynon to come up with new products (including a NAV radio), but at the same time I strongly believe their resources should be first targeted at developing safety related features like:
  1. fuel at final destination (not fuel at next waypoint)
  2. final glide ring which takes into account terrain
  3. emergency mode, something similar to what Garmin introduced to G3X

d3mac123

I have a N16 installed in my aircraft as a backup. I only bought it because it was the least costly way for me to satisfy Transport Canada’s requirement for a second independent nav source. They won’t accept Dynon GPS as an IFR backup. I’ve found that it’s actually a really great radio. It is physically very small and weighs only ounces. It will lock onto a signal father out than my GTN650xi and they’re connected to the same archer nav antenna. In anything but a MGL efis a control head is required for tuning and to allow Dynon or AFS to connect using the SL-30 protocol. I installed a Vega control head but the Razor is better if you actually plan to use it for real navigation.
I think you’re correct regarding tuning a Val nav2kr.
I’m planning to get a N16 as well. Can you see the CDI/glide slope in the Skyview (I’m assuming so)?

CanardMulti

I’m planning to get a N16 as well. Can you see the CDI/glide slope in the Skyview (I’m assuming so)?
I have an N16 installed as backup to my Avidyne IFD540. It does indeed allow both glide slope and localizer to be viewed on SkyView's HSI. I've even flown coupled ILS approaches with the N16 as the nav source and it works just fine.

The downside of the N16 - or for that matter any 3rd party VHF nav radio - is that it uses up your one and only discretionary RS232 input to your SkyView system. You say "But wait! There are 5 serial ports available with SkyView, not just one!" I said discretionary. If your system has all Dynon peripherals for transponder, primary and backup GPS, and ADSB in, you really get just one RS232 port for connecting the 3rd party device of your choice. As much as many here have pleaded for a network connected RS232 expansion module, I was told by multiple reps at O$hko$h this summer that it is definitely "not a priority". Translation: They just don't give a rosy rat's rump. Sorry, folks.

Last edited:

Rhino

Add to that the fact that the N16 is not a nav/com, so you lose that last serial port without the benefit of an extra com radio that a true nav/com system offers. Dynon really needs the expansion module.

CanardMulti

Add to that the fact that the N16 is not a nav/com, so you lose that last serial port without the benefit of an extra com radio that a true nav/com system offers. Dynon really needs the expansion module.
No argument. I've got the SV-COM-X25 as com 1 to take advantage of all the SV data base capabilities, and the IFD540 also provides both VHF com and nav with access to the IFD data base frequencies. I can certainly see the advantage of a complete nav-com taking just one serial input for some folks' installations, but in my case a 3rd com would have been overkill. The N16 was the least expensive, lightest, and most compact way to go.

Ken

gtae07

I love flying!
It's my understanding that you can pair an N16 with a V16 and the Razor head (which talks to both) and it should theoretically work like a Nav/Com (like an SL-30 IIRC).

CanardMulti

It's my understanding that you can pair an N16 with a V16 and the Razor head (which talks to both) and it should theoretically work like a Nav/Com (like an SL-30 IIRC).
The larger Razor head can indeed be set up to be a NAVCOM head, provided you have both a V16 and an N16 installed. It can also be set up to tune just a NAV or just a COM. The Vega head is smaller. It has the capability to be set up as either a COM head or a NAV head during initial setup, but has no NAVCOM mode since it's just too small. If you tell your Vega it is a NAV head, you are then able to choose one of several NAV display modes that works best for you.

Ken

Rhino

And you get back to the problem of having two radios and only one serial port.

gtae07

I love flying!
And you get back to the problem of having two radios and only one serial port.
Actually, I don't think you do. Looking at the Skyview install manual rev AI, page 4-27, it looks like an SL30 only requires one serial connection.
For the MGL setup, you'd tie that serial to the Razor head (which emulates the SL30) and it then handles the connections to the individual N16 and V16 radios. My read, therefore, is that only one serial connection would be required.

Now, this is all just my understanding from reading the manuals for all of the above, and from planning ahead in case I install the V16 and/or N16 in the future; someone who's actually done it might have better info.

CanardMulti

Actually, I don't think you do. Looking at the Skyview install manual rev AI, page 4-27, it looks like an SL30 only requires one serial connection.
For the MGL setup, you'd tie that serial to the Razor head (which emulates the SL30) and it then handles the connections to the individual N16 and V16 radios. My read, therefore, is that only one serial connection would be required.

Now, this is all just my understanding from reading the manuals for all of the above, and from planning ahead in case I install the V16 and/or N16 in the future; someone who's actually done it might have better info.
I read it the same way.