Running engine sensor harness through firewall?

killbilly

This is going to sound like a dumb question. I feel dumb asking it but the manual didn't indicate this one way or another.

I'm installing an EMS220 package on my RV6 and this is the first time I'm installing something like this.

For the oil pressure, temperature and fuel flow and pressure sensors....does it make sense to extend the wires from the main harness through the firewall to connect to the sensors (these are the Kavlico sensors that come with the EMS220 installation kit) or should I run wires from the sensors through the firewall and make the splice/connection on the cabin side of the firewall? The harness wires are long enough, but not sure this is what I should do.

killbilly

On my RV7a I fed them through the firewall, it seemed like the sensible thing to do.
Thanks!

So you just spliced the EMS harness wire to the sensor wires?

Did you put any kind of sheathing or protection on the wires?

peter9545

I love flying!
On my installation the supplied harness wires were long enough to reach everything they needed to.

The EGT and CHT wires already had connectors attached to connect to those coming from the EGT and CHT sensors supplied.

On other sensor wires like oil and fuel pressure I attached appropriate connectors to fit the sensor.

On the firewall engine side I put all the wire bundle in a firesleeve as they exited the firewall and sealed it with fireproof sealant. Then the individual wires exited the sleeve and are routed to their individual sensors. My idea there was that if there was a fire I wouldn't lose everything all at once, I hope I never have to test this!

The only other thing I did was to remove the unused wires from the harness to avoid having them loose in the engine bay.

I hope this makes sense.