Savvy Time...Verses Dynon Time...Verses UTC Time...Will The Best Time Please Stand Up???

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
So what time is best method of "time" to use to track flight events such as the start of GAMI LOP tests and other items the pilot would like to look at later on the Savvy charts???

I upload my user data to Savvy and I see the time scale on the bottom axis of the chart and that is in 00:05 increments...great...and this starts from the time the system gets fired up. So if you sit with the engine off for a few minutes and then have a long taxi there is a bunch of "time" before you take off.

Dynon shows a "Flight Time" and that starts at takeoff and that makes sense but it does not match the Savvy time axis axis on the chart.

So I figure great...I will use the "UTC-O-Meter" at the top of the screen to record flight events...as an example I record "15:26:00" for the start of the GAMI LOP sweep where I start to move the mixture from rich to lean and then I record "15:28:00" when I get to the onset of engine roughness (repeat) so I think I am doing a good method to record the start time of these events...HOWEVER...

I cannot reconcile the UTC time to the Savvy time axis on the chart very easily...I just have to guess where I was in the flight to try to find the place where I did these checks.

There has got to be a better way...

Then I look at the excel spreadsheet and that has "Session Time" but that shows as "7616.25" and then "7616.38" but that does not make sense to me. I tried all of the time "formats" in excel however none of them work to produce a human readable time.

So then I see there is a "System Time" and I think that I will simply find line for the time of 15:27:00 so I can see the altitude and airspeed where I was and try to to find that altitude and airspeed however the "System Time" on the spreadsheet starts at "21:43:00" and here in my time zone it was "07:43:00 LCL" when I fired up the EFIS and that converts to a UTC time of 14:30:00 and that was what was at the top of my screen so there is a 7 hour difference from System Time to UTC Time.

Is there a better way???

THANKS for the advice!!!

swatson999

Dynon is recording two things...time since the logging started (power up) as "Session Time", and GPS date and time ("GPS Date & Time" is what I see the column heading on my files). GPS time is what is being displayed on the screen. Nothing in the system uses local time AFAIK. "System Time" is just the time portion, less the date field.

If you want, you can try using a custom format for the column, such as "m/d/yy hh:mm:ss".

Something is very off if your system is recording a GPS time that is 14 hours different from your local time, unless you're 14 time zones away from Greenwich.

lrg775

I've used the heading bug to mark flight test points--easy to see in the logs.