Serial connectors

Raymo

I love aviation!
This should be an easy one...

Replace the connector thumb screws with something that the average person can grab with a thumb and finger.

Those 1/8" screws are extremely difficult to spin due to their diameter and length. A screwdriver slot would not hurt either.

One example here .

Raymo

I love aviation!
Simple, more effective solution - slip a short length of Tubing (like Tygon) over the screws ;)

Great idea, Jake. I happen to have some tubing in my toolbox gathering dust. Certainly not going to replace all the back-shells once Dynon starts using something with more purchase.

jakej

actually, Dynon has been shipping some different (black) backshells with larger diameter (at the end) thumbscrews,
not sure if that's the change DS mentioned.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yeah, it's happening to different cables at different times (as stock turns over and parts are re-ordered), so I don't want to over-promise whether a particular harness is shipping in the new configuration or not.

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
Having sausage-like fingers myself I'd agree that bigger is better, but...

Just because there is a screwdriver slot there's no reason to go mad tightening up the screws.

Over-tightening D-Sub screws can cause problems:
- Stripping the tiny M3 threads. Sometimes they lock and won't come out, sometimes spin and won't come out. Either way it's a pain when they won't come out.
- Tighten so hard that the thread locks and when you undo it the nut/screw from the plug/socket in the case comes out with it. Both going that way can cause you to lose the connector inside the case (depending on whether it is a circuit board mounted one).
- Tighten so hard the connector is graunched off the circuit board inside the case (see previous 'depends').
- End of the screw snaps off.
- Captive nut on the unit snaps off.
- And combinations of the above.  :eek:

Been using computers (PC's, minis, mainframes, embedded systems for manufacturing) all my working life. Seen all the above and more besides.

Doing the screws up just snug is perfectly adequate. The weight / tension / twist of the cables will pretty well always ensure there's sufficient friction on the threads that they won't come undone.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Having sausage-like fingers myself I'd agree that bigger is better, but...

Just because there is a screwdriver slot there's no reason to go mad tightening up the screws.

Been using computers (PC's, minis, mainframes, embedded systems for manufacturing) all my working life. Seen all the above and more besides.

Doing the screws up just snug is perfectly adequate. The weight / tension / twist of the cables will pretty well always ensure there's sufficient friction on the threads that they won't come undone.

Same here with many years working in the computer world. Finger tight is all you need - if you can get your thumb and finger on the darn thing :)

The screw slot would not be the ideal solution but better than nothing assuming the same size (1/8") spindles. Squeezing a screwdriver in behind the panel is not always easy either.