Servo Wiring to Network

Allan_Paige

I love flying!
In the Skyview system, is it permissible to attach the 4 wires coming from the servo directly to the 2 twisted pairs that go to the network using standard butt splices (crimp or solder/heat shrink versions) rather than using the installation manual design with the 2 DB9 connectors that come in the SV-NET-SERVO? The wire run on my airplane from the servo to the SV-NET-SPL is less than 18 inches and it really doesn't need another disconnect.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yep - as long as you get those 4 wires into the network, and the disconnect wire to a switch on your stick/panel, and power with the appropriate gauge wire for the current and run, you're golden.

mmarien

Murray M.
I used a terminal block and it works fine.

ServoWiring2.jpg

PlaneDan

I love flying!
Regarding "attach to the Network".  I am converting from having my AP attached to the D10-A using 2 wires going to the DSAB.  I am confused about exactly what the "Network" is.  I ran the other two that were not used on the D10-A, but cannot find in the manual where these wires are to go.  I am assuming that the "Network" is the D37, but if so, where does it say what pins to connect to?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Not the D37. The DSAB wires on your D10A setup are two of the 4 wires that you use on the 9 pin SkyView Network connector (same connectors as you use for the ADAHRS and EMS module). The diagram on page 10-10 (current rev o) shows how the servo wires (which are color coded) connect to a SkyView network connector. Blue wire goes to pin 6, green wire to pin 1, and then the two blue/white green/white striped wires, which were on your servos bu weren't connected to DSAB, go to pins 4 and 8 respectively on the SkyView network connector.

PlaneDan

I love flying!
My servos were connected to the D10-A/D10 DSAB.  The common network wires for each servo were spliced together and a twisted pair ran the result of those splices to the DSAB.  I am assuming that when connecting to the SkyView network, that this twisted pair is now "DATA 1", and that the other set that were "UNUSED", are now connected in the same manner to "DATA 2".  Please advise if my assumption is correct or not.  Thanks.

PlaneDan

I love flying!
Thank you. I am assuming that it does not matter which of the D9 I connect to. I will further examine page 10-10 tomorrow.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Right. The original DSAB wires are now Data 1 A/B, and the previously unused wires from the servos are the Data 2 A/B wires on SkyView Network.

airguy

I used a terminal block and it works fine.

ServoWiring2.jpg

You might want to consider lifting your block an inch off the bottom floor or covering it - on the bottom skin as you are now, the block is prone to drill shaving and other trash drifting onto it and shorting points together. I used DB9 connectors here for just that reason, despite the fact that another disconnect was not needed - they are swarf-proof.

mmarien

Murray M.
You might want to consider lifting your block an inch off the bottom floor or covering it
I considered covering it. When I did the risk analysis it didn't warrant it. The area is sealed behind the rear bulkhead so there is little change of debris accumulating. It is off the bottom skin by the depth of the block which is about a quarter inch and the deck slants so if there was debris it will slide by rather than settle. The airplane is composite so there is little chance of metal debris. The connectors are separated by plastic dams so if there is a chance of shorting it will be between already connected contacts. And finally, I keep the area clean with a shop vac when I do the annual inspection or any work in the area.

But it makes you wonder. Kind of like the power supply bars on the back of the breaker panels. :-?

PlaneDan

I love flying!
:) Meaning that I am finally a happy camper. I found that I needed either the SPL, or the Net Hub. I chose the Net hub and now there is no issue with connecting the AP to the SV network. I believe that if you do not get the harness made for the AP, then you are going to need one or the other of these. And, how can you know if the harness it going to fit your application. Mine has now passed the installation and configuration test. Flight testing to come soon.

jakej

:) Meaning that I am finally a happy camper.  I found that I needed either the SPL, or the Net Hub.  I chose the Net hub and now there is no issue with connecting the AP to the SV network.  I believe that if you do not get the harness made for the AP, then you are going to need one or the other of these.  And, how can you know if the harness it going to fit your application.  Mine has now passed the installation and configuration test.  Flight testing to come soon.
Just curious - did you connect the servo power & grounds to the hub ? Or did you just use the existing network cable ?

Jake J