Shear pin breakage

N119MA

Our Bristell LSA has had 3 shear pin breaks over the last year. 4 pilots have access to her and all know the limitations of flying AP in turbulent WX.
Anyone else experiencing the same issue. We have the Dynon HDX. Thanks ahead
MD N119MA/KLNS

RV8JD

I had a Dynon shear screw fail about a year and a half ago or so, on the SV-32 pitch servo in my RV-8.

Per Dynon, they adopted a stronger shear screw beginning late in the 1st quarter of 2017. It was adopted due to premature fatigue failures of the previous spec'd screw during normal use.

I called Dynon after verifying the shear screw had failed and they quickly sent replacement shear screw kits gratis (including one for the roll servo for if/when it fails). The kit includes the shear screw, an Allen wrench, a cotter pin, thread locker, and instructions for replacement.

Search "shear screw" in the Forums and you will find a few threads on the subject.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So please do reach out to our technical support team. We did improve our shear screw to help with this issue, but it sounds like you're still not solved. When was the most recent break? Did you get your replacement shear screw directly from us?