Skid-Slip ball

aguiraf

What affects in the initial set up of the position of the ball in the Skyview?. Mine sits just on the left line of the center. The ball on the D10A is on the center. :-[

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
When you're not moving, or in flight with your wings EXACTLY level, it's a very good direct measurement of how level the ADAHRS is with respect to the airframe. It's calibrated here to be exactly centered when the ADAHRS is level.

thibault

To the Moderator:

It seems to me that, when not in motion, the ball is indicating the relative state of level to earth's horizon, not the airframe.

For an "on the ground" check of the ball indication, don't you have to ensure that the airframe is level first?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Tom - Of course. To be clear - the ball is a digital level, with respect to gravity. The output is displayed not as a number but instead as the ball's deflection.

So, if the ball is deflected when you're on the ground and still, you either have an ADAHRS that is installed with some roll error in a perfectly level airframe, or perhaps a slightly non-level airframe (tire pressure? the ground underneath?) with a perfectly-mounted ADAHRS, or something between the two.

In the air, note that a slightly out of rig or out of trim airframe, even if it's perfect on the ground, can cause some actual bank/slip in the air. This would be displayed by the attitude display / ball as a small amount of bank and ball deflection.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
There isn't a way to disable it on SkyView, but it can be decluttered in the D100/D10 series.

skysailor

There isn't a way to disable it on SkyView, but it can be decluttered in the D100/D10 series.

Will you consider the possibility of choosing not to display the ball? I do not write software for a living (all of you with working computers are grateful for this) but it seems simple enough to do.

aguiraf

I corrected the small error by adjusting the ADAHRS. Now all three skid-slip balls are synchronized. ;D