Skyview 3.1 flight plan import.

rfazio1951

Skyview 3.1 will be able to import flight plans from PC based planning software. What are the names of some compatible planning software? I would like to get my hands on one to try out.

Thanks

meljordan

Planning software that can produce a .gpx file is what is needed. For testing I use the AOPA flight planner that is free to members. So when you are considering planning software, just look for ones that will output a .gpx file.

Regards,
Mel Jordan

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also, even if it doesn't, there are a few websites and programs out there (such as http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input and GPS Babel) that can convert from many different formats into GPX.

Taigajoe

Another fine tool is G7toWIN http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm . You can load and save in different route and waypoint formats of course also *.gpx. And you can download from and upload to Garmin GPS - if you want. I like it very much.

trevpond

I use Skydemon over here written in the UK, you can export flight plans/routes using GPX to Garmin, so I hope I will be able to use the same to download to Skyview. Looking forward to loading routes.

regards

Trev :D

Taigajoe

I agree: an upload of *.GPX routes to SV via serial connection would be nice!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
GPX files will need to be on a USB stick. But as long as you can get them there, you're golden.

Jbellot

Hi from Spain. I usually work with www.govfr.com. It,s a nice tool based on Google maps and export routes in .gpx format

Taigajoe

Hi Trev,

this tip with skydemon was very fine. I will buy it. For flying in Europe it is a nice tool...

Thanks!

trevpond

Taigajoe

Always a pleasure, never a chore! You are very welcome but more people need to know about Sky Demon, it's great, will even send off your Flight Plans for you!

regards

Trev ;)

rfazio1951

I tried out AOPAs software for flight planning. It works fairly well. It's a little quirky. I had to load the new beta version to get it to export the GPX file. Once I did that I was able to save a few different flight plans with multiple legs. Very cool, now I'm going out to the airport and try and load them on to my skyview, once updated to 3.1.

tobb

Any ideas how to export Jeppesen flitestar flightplan to make it work with skyveiw? I have tried exporting as garmin xml format then converted to gpx using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input.
I loaded the flightplan into my skyview, but no there where no waypoints

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We're going to send you an email (to the address registered to your account) for you to reply to to send those file to us so we can take a look at them.

rfazio1951

I installed 3.1 on my sktview and it loaded the AOPA flight plans perfectly. I'm just about done with the install. If the weather is good tomorrow, which I doubt, I'll be able to test fly it. If not I'll wait for the first good night this week.

trevpond

Hi Guys,

When you are in your various programmes and making GPX flight plans, how do you save them on the stick, i.e. with a title or does your flight planner just save them straight to stick from the map?

regards

Trev :mad:

rfazio1951

In the AOPA software you are on line doing the planning at their site. Once done you save it or you can export it to a GPX file. When you say you want to do that, it asks where you want to save it to. Look for the dynon stick. You may have to scroll down on the left side of the explorer window till you see dynon.

aguiraf

You give the file a name i.e KTFP_KSAT, then save it to the location where your USB stick is conncected to. ;)

aguiraf

Can more than one flight plan be saved in Skyview? or do you have to depend on the USB stick to be connected to the port in order to retrieve flight plans? ::)

lindsayj

Can more than one flight plan be saved in Skyview? or do you have to depend on the USB stick to be connected to the port in order to retrieve flight plans? ::)
You need the USB stick connected to import a Flight Plan...Jack L

rogersmart

Must use AOPA Internet Flight Planner v 2.0-rc5 which adds the export to GPX function.