Skyview / D100 GPS signal sharing

Ham_Goulding

I have a Garmin 695 connected to a D100. Manufacturer installed a Skyview for me and did not connect the GPS to it. Can I keep the connection to the D100 and also connect to Skyview?

If so, do I simply split the 695 Blue Data Output wire and connect to a Serial Port input on Skyview?

Or do I have to disconnect from the D100?

Thanks, Ham Goulding, Ireland. (Roko NG4)

meljordan

Hello Ham,

You can simply split the 695 serial out and connect it to one of the serial ports on the SkyView and leave the D100 connection as it.   I have the serial ouput of my Garmin 430 driving 3 devices in my panel.

Best Regards,
Mel

Ham_Goulding

Fabulous. Thanks Mel, that sounds easy - I will try making the connection and let you know how I get on. Rgds, Ham.

BBGLASAIR

More on this subject. I will be ordering Skyview soon, and intend to have my Bendix-King Skymap IIIC driving the Skyview GPS screen. It already drives a TruTrak A/Pilot. It looks like if I split the Skymap data cable, it will also be able to drive the Skyview, but do I also have to order the Dynon GPS aerial unit? Has anyone done this already? BB

jakej

Brian

You can split it ok. No need to buy the Dynon Gps puck however it will give you redundancy at a reasonable price.

Jake J

Ham_Goulding

Hello Jake, I did as Mel Jordan advised and it works perfectly - data output from my Garmin going both to D100 and to serial port on Skyview as well.

I agree that it is worth getting the Dynon GPS as well. I think you need it to get your Synthetic Visibility and map display to work, but also good redundancy for navigation especially when the full nav capability comes out in a few months. Price is reasonable.

Best of luck,

Ham G.

meljordan

Ham and Brian,

Just for clarification, you do not need the Dynon GPS puck for SynVis or map display, any GPS source that can feed position info to the SkyView will enable SynVis and Map functions. That said, I certainly think the Dynon GPS is a very inexpensive way to get a WAAS 5hz backup GPS that can be powered by the Dynon backup battery.

Best,
Mel

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The SkyMap IIIC is a funny device.

It puts out NMEA data, but only very basic NMEA (RMC, RMB, GGA). We can get position from this, but we can't display an HSI from it or fly the autopilot off it.

It also puts out Aviation format. Unfortunately, devices that put out Aviation format don't put out time. Time is required in SkyView in order for us to calculate magnetic variation. But aviation does have the data we need to do other things.

Devices such as the Garmin 430/530 and the Apollo 480 can put out time over ARINC -429if you use our ARINC adapter.

So you can use it for position only if you put it in NMEA mode, or you can use it for navigation if you put it in Aviation mode and hook up another GPS.

The 5Hz update rate of the Dynon GPS puck is a really nice feature.