Skyview network dropouts

Hotscam

I love flying!
I have sent various support request mails to Dynon.
No respons after 10 days which is unusual compared to earlier contacts with Dynon. Xmas time ?

My problem

In take off the SV1000 classic touch shows intermittend red crosses for adhrs and ems
After some time the units come back on line
First ems returns with red crosses across few sensors which disappear quickly and next the adhrs comes back and re-calibrates. All normal again.
After a while the whole thing repeats and repeats.
During the last flight the gps (sV250)dropped out as well and remains gone.
Back on the ground all back to normal and stable except fo the gps which did not return

I swapped the two SV’s with no result
Also tried one SV on line which gives the same problem.
Ran the network test but no errors.

Feels like an intermittend contact somewhere
I also checked all connectors and shook cable bundles and created strong vibrations but all stable on the ground.

Hope you have a few tips

Jack RV12 Netherlands

Lon

I began having the same problem yesterday with my HDXs. At first, I got intermittent and very short dropouts of the ADHARS, then dropouts of the GPS position, and finally short dropouts of both ADHARS and GPS. The puzzling thing is that I got these dropouts only on the pilot-side HDX. The co-pilot-side HDX continued to work perfectly, even as the pilot-side HDX was offline.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Apologies for the delay. I don't have direct access to our technical support environment, but I don't think they're that backlogged. Regardless, I've sent a note to our tech support manager to check make sure we're in touch early next week.

Lon

I emailed Dynon directly and got a prompt response telling me that the problem could be a loose connection due to vibration and temperature changes. Dynon advised me to jiggle the cables attached to the faulty HDX to see whether that resulted in the same type of failure I experienced while flying. I did that, and it didn’t create a failure of any kind at all — not even a momentary blink. I’ve emailed Dynon again, on Friday afternoon, and am waiting for a reply.

A question for those of you who use Dynon’s Wifi adapters: I recently bought and installed those adapters. They don’t work properly for me. I’ve used them with ForeFlight on an iPhone, an iPad Mini and an iPad, and all three connect to the Dynon Wifi network at startup but then drop the network about 20 minutes into flight. I’m wondering whether the Wifi adapters are interfering with the Dynon display and are the reason the ADAHRS and GPS are disappearing from my HDX display. Any thoughts about that?

XPRSAV8R

I emailed Dynon directly and got a prompt response telling me that the problem could be a loose connection due to vibration and temperature changes. Dynon advised me to jiggle the cables attached to the faulty HDX to see whether that resulted in the same type of failure I experienced while flying. I did that, and it didn’t create a failure of any kind at all — not even a momentary blink. I’ve emailed Dynon again, on Friday afternoon, and am waiting for a reply.

A question for those of you who use Dynon’s Wifi adapters: I recently bought and installed those adapters. They don’t work properly for me. I’ve used them with ForeFlight on an iPhone, an iPad Mini and an iPad, and all three connect to the Dynon Wifi network at startup but then drop the network about 20 minutes into flight. I’m wondering whether the Wifi adapters are interfering with the Dynon display and are the reason the ADAHRS and GPS are disappearing from my HDX display. Any thoughts about that?

I used to encounter WiFi disconnects with iDevices when using FF and FlyQ. At some point in May, this problem went away with a combination of SkyView and iOS devices. They're bulletproof (hopefully not jinxing myself) at the moment. I've never encountered the problem with ADAHRS and/or GPS disappearing from the HDX display, though.

Lon

I used to encounter WiFi disconnects with iDevices when using FF and FlyQ. At some point in May, this problem went away with a combination of SkyView and iOS devices. They're bulletproof (hopefully not jinxing myself) at the moment. I've never encountered the problem with ADAHRS and/or GPS disappearing from the HDX display, though.
Thanks for your input. I'm hoping that the Dynon Wifi dongles are causing the ADAHRS/GPS to fail, because if they are, I can fix the problem simply by removing the dongles. Alas, it could be the other way around: the ADAHRS/GPS problem could be the reason ForeFlight is dropping the Wifi signal. I'm going to fly tomorrow without the dongles and will see whether the ADAHRS/GPS problem re-appears. I know that correlation is not the same thing as causation, but as long as I'm just hoping, I'm hoping for the easiest and quickest solution.

Lon

Update: I removed the Wifi dongles and flew for 1.7 hours. The ADAHRS and GPS worked perfectly for the entire flight — not a single dropout or even a blink. Because removing the dongles is the easiest “cure,” I’m blaming them for the dropout problem. :). I advised Dynon Support of my “solution,” and offered to return the dongles for an autopsy. Dynon accepted my offer, so when the holiday package rush is over, back they’ll go.

XPRSAV8R

Update: I removed the Wifi dongles and flew for 1.7 hours. The ADAHRS and GPS worked perfectly for the entire flight — not a single dropout or even a blink. Because removing the dongles is the easiest “cure,” I’m blaming them for the dropout problem. :). I advised Dynon Support of my “solution,” and offered to return the dongles for an autopsy. Dynon accepted my offer, so when the holiday package rush is over, back they’ll go.
Interesting discovery! Maybe it’s not the WiFi dongle itself but parts of the dongle touching metal and grounding something out? Can you try with a flash drive and see if it does the same?

Lon

Interesting discovery! Maybe it’s not the WiFi dongle itself but parts of the dongle touching metal and grounding something out? Can you try with a flash drive and see if it does the same?
Interesting thought and a real possibility. I'm going to postpone trying this, though, at least until I hear back from Dynon about whether the Wifi dongles are defective. If, as I suspect and hope, the dongles are defective on their insides, that'll be that and I won't have to try anything else. Until I hear whether that's so, I don't want to attach flash drives, because I don't know what that could do to my HDXs. I say that, because the USB ports attached to the HDXs are not ordinary multipurpose USB ports. They are for uploading and downloading data, and for wifi, only, so as soon as something is plugged into the USB ports, the HDXs begin looking for something to upload or download or for a wifi dongle. I don't know what the HDXs would do if they found only blank flash drives. Also, the wifi dongles themselves are, physically, exactly like USB flash drives. There is nothing unique about their physical shape. Thanks though for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind if Dynon reports the dongles are fine and the problem returns.

CS100

Interesting thought and a real possibility. I'm going to postpone trying this, though, at least until I hear back from Dynon about whether the Wifi dongles are defective. If, as I suspect and hope, the dongles are defective on their insides, that'll be that and I won't have to try anything else. Until I hear whether that's so, I don't want to attach flash drives, because I don't know what that could do to my HDXs. I say that, because the USB ports attached to the HDXs are not ordinary multipurpose USB ports. They are for uploading and downloading data, and for wifi, only, so as soon as something is plugged into the USB ports, the HDXs begin looking for something to upload or download or for a wifi dongle. I don't know what the HDXs would do if they found only blank flash drives. Also, the wifi dongles themselves are, physically, exactly like USB flash drives. There is nothing unique about their physical shape. Thanks though for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind if Dynon reports the dongles are fine and the problem returns.
I know that you made this post back in 2019, but I'm having the same exact problem with my 3-screen HDX system. Doesn't happen all the time, but occasionally my pilot side PFD will have an Adhars failure in flight. Dynon has told me the same about possible loose connections (there are none) My other two screens are unaffected. I too have the wifi dongles plugged into the back of the HDX's. Did removing them permanently fix your issue?

Con

I've got Foreflight on a new 4th generation iPad Pro, and it will connect to the Skyview while on the ground, but a few minutes in the air and the iPad shows X's through the flight instruments and the location of the plane on the map disappears. The iPad settings indicate that it is still connected to Skyview, but the Foreflight doesn't respond. I haven't contacted Dynon yet about the problem. Any suggestions?