Skyview Wish List

andresmith76

I love flying!
While we patiently wait for the release of the next Skyview system software upgrade, I was thinking about what new features/enhancements could be added. Since we've been told the HDX displays are really mini-computers, I vote for adding the capability of displaying JPG/PDF images in our Checklist items. We can add and edit text (in a round-about way) to our checklists, could Dynon give us the ability to add images?

Andre'

Last edited:

Fly4fuud

Like Dave above I’m an early adopter of the skyview system. I’m begging you for an APPROACH MODE that will blow up the tiny HSI into a 20-30 degree arc for flying approaches. In the past, the argument has been the large magnetic compass on the map mode is sufficient. I find the reality of flying and teaching a standard glass cockpit scan does not include using the map mode as the primary heading indicator.

Your thoughts?

cbretana

I would like the configuration screen to allow the user to optionally specify another tone schedule for the aural AOA tone. Just like the config settings allow for specifying various bands for the on-screen engine sensor displays. for example,
1. Below x% of stall: Silent (No-tone)
2. Between x% and y% of stall: below gradually increasing as AOA increases Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF), from 1.5 Pulses per second (PPS) to 8.2 PPS), 900 Hz tone
3. Between y% and z%: , solid (continuous) 900 Hz tone tone
4. Above z% of stall: very high PRF (~5 pulse/sec) 1600 Hz tone

Where the percentages can be set in configuration as is currently possible in Skyview version 15 ...

The example above is drawn from the design and operation of the AOA tone schedule in the F-4C/D/E Phantom, and as anyone who flew this jet can tell you, it made an enormous difference, not just for avoiding the stall, but for flying the aircraft (irrespective of airspeed, gross weight, bank angle etc.) at the optimum AOA for what you were doing, without monitoring instruments. Flying approaches was especially affected. You could fly an overhead traffic pattern, using a wide range of airspeeds, configurations, at any gross weight, and using whatever bank angles were needed in the turns, without looking inside the cockpit at the airspeed indicator. You just needed to monitor the aural AOA tone and keep it on the steady tone that was set to optimum approach AOA. This allowed you to maintain more continuous visual contact with the runway environment and other aircraft in the airport traffic pattern than would be possible if checking airspeed every few seconds.

Trying to use the existing (Skyview version 15) AOA schedule to do this (without looking inside the cockpit), is helpful, (better than nothing), but not optimal, because I have to set the threshold between the beeping and the continuous tone at the AOA I want to maintain for approaches, and then I need to adjust trim/back stick pressure to maintain the tone on this threshold.. i.e., I need to continually oscillate stick pressure so I am hearing the beeping, and the steady tone, switching back and forth, to know I am at the AOA where the transition occurs.

Last edited:

sstearns2

I would like to see all thermocouples display a 1-2 second average rather than instantaneous data so the displayed temps don't jump around. It can be distracting.

DBRV10

I would like to see all thermocouples display a 1-2 second average rather than instantaneous data so the displayed temps don't jump around. It can be distracting.

As someone who teaches the APS class, and we teach people to analyse their EMS data in flight and on the ground, this would be a bad idea. My suggestion would be nothing more than 1 second for data logging, and how it is on the display is ideal.

I see you are in Camarillo, home of my good friend, and APS founder John Deakin. The Way Point Cafe was one of his favourites and the malted chocolate milkshakes there are to die for. And probably from too. So have one for me, because there is not likely to be a visit from us any time soon :-(

MTozoni

I love flying!
1) Pick a tach and stay with it, maybe average it out over half a second. My sensors are connected to p-leads on the magnetos, and under the engine debug menu I noticed it keeps jumping between magneto 1 and 2, causing the tach numbers to be very unstable.
2) Give the option to automatically store log data to USB stick (plugged in with charts anyway) instead of having to wait and export them manually every time.
3) Don't reset the "fuel used" every time the engine is started. I would like to have the option to reset it manually, so I can compare what the computer thinks I used to what I put in at the pump so I can adjust the "red cube" fuel flow meter accordingly.

Flying_Monkey

Would love the representation of the glide slope to be bigger somehow...maybe an option to have it over the HSI or something. I just really miss the big glide slope needle of the analogue gauge. That is one of my only complaints about going glass....

owenssonex

Increase the touch area for the barometer current setting so the adjustment wheel updates the baro setting, sometimes the last use of the wheel is altitude. I don't find the wheel push to set focus as handy as using the touch screen.

swatson999

1) Pick a tach and stay with it, maybe average it out over half a second. My sensors are connected to p-leads on the magnetos, and under the engine debug menu I noticed it keeps jumping between magneto 1 and 2, causing the tach numbers to be very unstable.

That's weird. Mine doesn't do that that I'm aware of...and in the log file, both RPM 1 and RPM 2 have identical data, so why would it cause jumping around?

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Here are my suggestions from days gone by...

-Make a box similar to the EMS that is just for simple inputs (not CHT or EGT) and the inputs for this box will be attached to things like canopy latch microswitch, landing light power, electric fuel boost pump power, Mixture full rich microswitch, etc and then you can have an electronic checklist that has the action items listed in white and as an example if the Before Takeoff Checklist has a bunch of these items listed and the respective microswitch has been met then the respective line item would change from white to green and all the pilot needs to do is perform a flow and then glance down and if the list is all green then the checklist is done.

-Have user recorded audible warnings for things like gear and flaps so that the user can have their sexy spouse record the audible warnings (Hmmm..."Too Slow" might be a good eyebrow raiser)...or you can have your cute daughter do the recording (Remember Gear Daddy"). This would be a more marketing gimmick for people to play around and to have fun during the trade shows rather than a for real needed feature for people who do not have sexy spouses or cute kids...but hey might be a leg up on the Garmin boyz...

Flying_Monkey

-Have user recorded audible warnings for things like gear and flaps so that the user can have their sexy spouse record the audible warnings (Hmmm..."Too Slow" might be a good eyebrow raiser)...or you can have your cute daughter do the recording (Remember Gear Daddy"). This would be a more marketing gimmick for people to play around and to have fun during the trade shows rather than a for real needed feature for people who do not have sexy spouses or cute kids...but hey might be a leg up on the Garmin boyz...

I have my PMA450B wired up with the Flightmate feature and it can do this! I have an R2D2 sound that plays when I disco my Trutrak Autopilot (Dynon AP not yet approved for my PA32)..You can hear it demonstrated at the beginning of this video:

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Monkey,

Beautiful family...good for you!!!

Fun R2 Unit on your airplane

My next wish list item for Cyber Santa is some kind of auto download for the engine data to Savvy...Dynon...here is a real game changer...

Flying_Monkey

Monkey,

Beautiful family...good for you!!!

Fun R2 Unit on your airplane

My next wish list item for Cyber Santa is some kind of auto download for the engine data to Savvy...Dynon...here is a real game changer...
I also have it hooked up for the engine monitor alert (from the JPI unit) and considered putting the sound effect of R2D2 screaming/freaking out when he gets electrocuted but it is a little startling...LOL

Flynic3

My only request would be integration with Garmin Pilot via USB Bluetooth module similar to the WiFi adapter currently being offered. I am sure I will receive some slack for this post, but I have never been a fan of ForeFlight. They have just added way too many features over the years without a logical GUI interface... the home menu with simple, logical Iconology in Garmin Pilot is just easier for me. I also prefer the VFR versus IFR cost structure that Garmin Pilot offers, while still retaining a full functioning Synthetic Vision backup AHRS for $100 yearly. Anyhow, I know a lot of you are anti-Garmin, and I understand this would require a GP and Dynon collaboration... but this or at least a GDL-50 ADS-B interface to display traffic and weather output on the Skyview Classic would make my day.

vlittle

I would like the configuration screen to allow the user to optionally specify another tone schedule for the aural AOA tone. Just like the config settings allow for specifying various bands for the on-screen engine sensor displays. for example,
1. Below x% of stall: Silent (No-tone)
2. Between x% and y% of stall: below gradually increasing as AOA increases Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF), from 1.5 Pulses per second (PPS) to 8.2 PPS), 900 Hz tone
3. Between y% and z%: , solid (continuous) 900 Hz tone tone
4. Above z% of stall: very high PRF (~5 pulse/sec) 1600 Hz tone

Where the percentages can be set in configuration as is currently possible in Skyview version 15 ...

The example above is drawn from the design and operation of the AOA tone schedule in the F-4C/D/E Phantom, and as anyone who flew this jet can tell you, it made an enormous difference, not just for avoiding the stall, but for flying the aircraft (irrespective of airspeed, gross weight, bank angle etc.) at the optimum AOA for what you were doing, without monitoring instruments. Flying approaches was especially affected. You could fly an overhead traffic pattern, using a wide range of airspeeds, configurations, at any gross weight, and using whatever bank angles were needed in the turns, without looking inside the cockpit at the airspeed indicator. You just needed to monitor the aural AOA tone and keep it on the steady tone that was set to optimum approach AOA. This allowed you to maintain more continuous visual contact with the runway environment and other aircraft in the airport traffic pattern than would be possible if checking airspeed every few seconds.

Trying to use the existing (Skyview version 15) AOA schedule to do this (without looking inside the cockpit), is helpful, (better than nothing), but not optimal, because I have to set the threshold between the beeping and the continuous tone at the AOA I want to maintain for approaches, and then I need to adjust trim/back stick pressure to maintain the tone on this threshold.. i.e., I need to continually oscillate stick pressure so I am hearing the beeping, and the steady tone, switching back and forth, to know I am at the AOA where the transition occurs.

You mean OnSpeed? See www.flyonspeed.org. Yours truly developed the visual display, based on work I did 15 years ago on the D10A. I can see the OnSpeed function being subsumed into EFIS systems one day.

vlittle

A request that I made several years ago:
Background:
I build avionics devices that work with Dynon EFISs. My first was an AOA display for D1X systems, followed by a flaps overspeed alarm. I also developed wiring hubs, one of which was copied by Dynon for the Skyview. I developed the first available autotrim controller for Skyview and recently have developed a family of display modules for backseat displays, one of which has been adopted as the OnSpeed energy display (for the front seat). I co-authored the Skyview and G3X ADAHRS and EMS serial format so that Dynon and Garmin would agree to similar formats. Most of this work has been released as open source, and I have never received any compensation or discounts from Dynon.

Request:
One request I made of Dynon several years ago, that I will repeat here: I would like the ability to push text configuration files from the SkyView over a serial link to my custom devices. This would greatly simplify device configuration. Right now I use bluetooth or Wifi for this or external buttons and switches. Dynon can't or won't invent everything, and this would help feed their ecosystem.

Vern

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
1. Place EMS Fuel Quantity and/or Fuel Flow in the RS232 Icarus, Shadin, or Aviation sentences, whichever appropriately mimics JPI and other Engine Monitors (I can't remember which protocol they used and I'm too lazy to look it up). Navigators (IFDx40, GNSx30) need this to calculate fuel to next waypoint, MPG, etc.

2. Put ADS-B IN data (from the 472) on an RS232 or ARINC line in a format readable by other boxes such as Avidyne IFD or Garmin GNS navigators.

Last edited: